Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

TOO Waterfowl Chronicles

Wmiller07

I'm fighting that battle too! Plus, my buddy spent $900 at Cabelas last night on decoys, so we're officially a "legit" field hunting operation now after 5 years of fiddlefucking around. Looking forward to getting after some sky carp this winter!

What did he buy, all avians? I do pretty well with a dozen full bodies and two dozen silos.

Wmiller07

And speaking of decoys does anyone use black and whites? I've been reading about them and supposedly they really catch the eye of the birds. Also I don't think many people use them around here which is always good.

loose_is_fast

McClure
We use Dakotas and my buddy has 6 Dave Smith's. We also have avian xs. Avian are by far the easiest to set up and are also by far the lightest. Dave Smith's are the most realistic though and cost a fortune!

Wmiller07

We use Dakotas and my buddy has 6 Dave Smith's. We also have avian xs. Avian are by far the easiest to set up and are also by far the lightest. Dave Smith's are the most realistic though and cost a fortune!

DSDs are very expensive but they do look good. I've become a big believer in silos. They finish birds and are way cheaper and much lighter. However I like to use some full bodies in the kill hole.

bigten05

*Supporting Member*
knox county ohio
I'm hoping the weather stays good after this weekend and the water stays open.

Attachments

• IMG_20171214_082825824.jpg
    IMG_20171214_082825824.jpg
    239.2 KB · Views: 156

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
You may have some of the best deer hunting in the state Josh, and that pit ain't no slouch when it comes to birds either! You're living right buddy! Good luck out there.

Wmiller07

Very cool. Let me know if that's something you want to do. I have a bunch of gear I can bring including a dog to get the birds. Also you are welcome to come up and do some field hunting if that's something you haven't experienced and are interested in.

bigten05

*Supporting Member*
knox county ohio
all around the water back here is corn fields sometimes they hammer them but most of the time there on the water, the farmer always turns the fields early after picking them so im sure that doesnt help alot.
Very cool. Let me know if that's something you want to do. I have a bunch of gear I can bring including a dog to get the birds. Also you are welcome to come up and do some field hunting if that's something you haven't experienced and are interested in.

Wmiller07

all around the water back here is corn fields sometimes they hammer them but most of the time there on the water, the farmer always turns the fields early after picking them so im sure that doesnt help alot.

No it doesn't. Makes it hard to hide too.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
Our season started out on Saturday with me deer hunting and my buddies getting to meet the new GW after wrapping up a river hunt where they actually got super lucky they didn't shoot a duck. Turns out, WV has authority over the river up the flood plain, not just the state line like we were told last year. With WV's duck season not in until Monday, they were legal to hunt geese under the reciprocity, but not ducks. And no Sunday hunting still. Thankfully WV did pass Sunday hunting on private ground, so we were a go on Sunday to hunt our new spot. My buddy (The Ginger Beard Man) locked this field down for us, then dropped $800 on decoys to legitimize our field operation, so I was pumped to say the least!

We set up a standard J with our dekes and brushed in the blinds in a strip of tall grass between a 100 yard wide by 300 yard long river bottom bean field and a 100 yard wide, near mile long corn field. Based on my scouting from the OH side, most of the geese flew between 8-9 from N to S. Things were quiet until 8:45 when a group of 9 comes over the trees on the far and throws down the landing gear. They never hesitate and we know that after 5 years of struggle, we are finally in OUR field getting it done on OUR own. We agreed to either land the first group or let them get in our boot bags before shooting. They continue to glide and when it's clear they're going to land on us, I call the shot. We sit up out of the blinds to 9 geese under 10' in elevation cupping, flapping and trying to grind to a halt at 30' and the guns go off. Next thing I know, it's raining birds. 3 birds hit the dirt immediately. My second shot folds one, then my ginger buddy folds a 5th. I mean stone dead, spike a football folds it. Simply a sweet moment in time to say the least.

We gather up our kill while my buddy chases down a 6th that was winged, but made it to the river. The rest of the morning was slow, but we did scratch out another. It's been a struggle for us to find our own spots and this field is simply a dream come true for us. We hunted there again yesterday and got schooled, but we're learning. In fact, I grounded myself from calling the shot after we had 4 birds come right at us close enough to shoot as they flew over, but my depth perception was way off. I call the shot, we all sit up and silence. Well shit, those birds needed 3 more seconds. lmao

I can't hunt tomorrow, but will be out Saturday at a field we hunt with another group. It's their field, but there are only 2 of them. The two guys in this pic are taking those 2 to our blind tomorrow in exchange for a field hunt with them and we win on that trade. Their field is the best around, so we should have another epic day on Saturday.

DSCN2867.jpg

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
How’d the pup do?

She's fucking worthless. lmao

She doesn't stray and she listens well, plus she keeps ya warm. Two of those birds had enough left to try and run/fly. She started after them, but wasn't sure what to do. I think she'll eventually make a cripple catcher for field hunts. If she keeps me warm and does that, she'll earn a spot until I replace her with her offspring. My buddy has one hell of a lab that is 100% hunter. Lulu has great obedience and temperament. We'll breed them around November next year and I'll get a male from that litter to be my next hunting dog. Remi will be gone by then, so it'll be well timed.

25446172_10105811877303214_451976530979803698_n.jpg