Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

TOO Strategy Sessions

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Cut out early on Friday to hunt. Get up early Saturday to hunt. Then off to Napolean for the last league soccer game. Freaking supportive parent thing getting in the way on Saturday night. lol

In regards to strategy right now? Butt in the stand. Heaviest traveled doe routes and known scrape line areas/traditional rut travel corridors. Best I have going for me this year based on current intel.

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Gotta say you've kicked ass on your recon this season Jesse! Your hard work is paying off too with drawing and holding DD there and luring some other mature deer in as well. Kudos buddy!

I agree with Brian about the easiest access as even the best stand on any farm with a perfect day and perfect wind direction won't mean dick if you blow your cover on your way in or out.

It's great that you're running your cams on video though as it might help determine where he's coming from and going to and when he's doing it!

It's also a good time to hunt closer to the doe bedding areas now as well as funnels. So whichever option puts you near doe bedding with easy access is what I would suggest. Good luck buddy!

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
I laid awake in bed from 3:30 to 5 this morning scheming. I may have identified a great stand sight, now to figure out how to get in there undetected and when to do it. It's in a saddle adjacent to my biggest sanctuary with thicket all around and a nice opening in front of the stand. I can put a tangle of downed tops and a ravine to my back.

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
I laid awake in bed from 3:30 to 5 this morning scheming. I may have identified a great stand sight, now to figure out how to get in there undetected and when to do it. It's in a saddle adjacent to my biggest sanctuary with thicket all around and a nice opening in front of the stand. I can put a tangle of downed tops and a ravine to my back.

Lol, I don't know how many times the majority of us have done the same over the years!!!

Sounds like a good idea Jesse but you might just hold off till doing it this spring though. Kinda late in the game to try this since he's already bedding too close now. If it were me I'd just hunt what stands you have and using them according to the most favorable wind direction and hope for the best. A hot doe walking by or him up on his feet looking around his new found domain is your best bet IMO.

Last edited:

Gordo

Athens County
Id bet in the next 10 days he gets pulled by everyone of your stands during shooting light. Just gotta be there for it. Ass in seat time.

As for new stand site, not sure what to tell you. It seems like you have him figured out. Get in there and kill his ass before he goes totally bonkers!!!

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
I never have anything "figured out", but I do a lot of figuring! :smiley_blackeye:

Got a strategy in place for the first two days. We'll see how it goes...

Bigcountry40

Sometimes on all day sits, I will bring a self climber, if I see activity in an area from my permanent stand and do not have a stand in that area, I can relocate using a Ariel view to my advantage.

Last edited:

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I never have anything "figured out", but I do a lot of figuring! :smiley_blackeye:

Hope it goes well for you. I still stand by "butt in the stand" is key this time of the year. They are so random. Heavy doe areas, known scrape areas/scent checking areas with nice pinch point/funnel stand locations is the best we can do.

GoetsTalon

Supporting Member
Walbridge oh
Thanks!!! Have not seen anything but thats how it was last year then on halloween the switch was flipped and it was deer everywhere lol. Good luck guys!!!

One thing I for sure am is an over-thinker!! Friends and family can confirm that because they've likely lost count how many times I've said "ok gonna do this....well....what do you think?!.....nevermind I think I should do it that way..."

Good luck on the idea and strategy!

Concordmeadowsfarm

SE Ohio
I feel like my ladder stands, stand out too much and are to low. But I have shot deer out of them, over the past years, just wonder whether I would have better luck with a climber or hang ons. I did not start hunting until age 17, and have learned alot, but still going... Current stand view.
1111.jpg

dangerousoldman

Con, ea type settles certain problems and creates other problems. Advice I give typically to bowhunting friends etc is to make sure you set up to be able to shoot a deer, not just set up to see deer. by that I mean, it is fun to see a lot but if you are wanting a big old buck I believe you may have to set up in cover that may not give you a great overall view but will put you close enough to the action to get a shot. Typically cover like that will work better with ladder stands if it is difficult to find a suitable climbing tree. Hang ons are pretty versatile also but just make use of whatever you have and make sure your set up doesnt skylite you or make you stick out real noticeably. I like setting hang ons and even ladder stands in pine trees or triple trunks so that I can hide or blend in better. you may even want to set up a couple stands to cover an area in the different winds. Believe me, I have bought multiple everything and tried all the new gizmos, but over the last 5 years have killed 4 bucks over 140" by just being smarter on my set ups. heck thats the fun of it for me, outwitting one and knowing I figured out how to get the edge, whether I actually kill them or not. You dont have to be really high up if you set up real well. Just my $.02 Good luck.