Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

TOO Homesteading

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
We just recovered from a couple of traumatic episodes tied to either a broody hen and/or a bacteria issue tied to the nesting boxes. Tracie cracked a fairly fresh egg (<10 days) that had an embryo in it and of course, that went over like a fart in church. Then speaking of farts, I made an omelet with rotten eggs despite them being less than 2 weeks old and they didn't float when I checked them. As it turned out, we had several week old eggs that had already spoiled. I've never had to separate a broody hen, but I've had one that just wouldn't give up, so I removed her and cleaned out the nesting boxes. So far, so good *knock on wood*. I cracked a dozen week old eggs without issue last night. 🤞

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
We just recovered from a couple of traumatic episodes tied to either a broody hen and/or a bacteria issue tied to the nesting boxes. Tracie cracked a fairly fresh egg (<10 days) that had an embryo in it and of course, that went over like a fart in church. Then speaking of farts, I made an omelet with rotten eggs despite them being less than 2 weeks old and they didn't float when I checked them. As it turned out, we had several week old eggs that had already spoiled. I've never had to separate a broody hen, but I've had one that just wouldn't give up, so I removed her and cleaned out the nesting boxes. So far, so good *knock on wood*. I cracked a dozen week old eggs without issue last night. 🤞
Dang! I haven’t run into that issue yet. Guess I didn’t even really know it was a possibility! I’ll have to stay on my toes, as we are usually eating and selling eggs that are 3+ weeks old. Even though I leave the eggs unwashed, I do refrigerate them as soon as they’re pulled from the boxes though. I would assume that would help mitigate the chances of this spoilage issue happening.

Reactions: finelyshedded

5Cent

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
North Central Ohio
Glad no one got sick Jesse, shit happens.

RCA time tho😄 - is this a timing issue for egg removal from nests or a handling/storage/dating failure? An A4, 5 Whys, or an 8D are all acceptable from involved parties.

Coop to carton, carton to fridge, when carton is full, it gets it's date. They fill up in 1-2 days so it's a bit easier since it's a daily task for us.

Reactions: jagermeister

Dustinb80

#FACKCANCER
Supporting Member
S.W. Ohio
Glad no one got sick Jesse, shit happens.

RCA time tho😄 - is this a timing issue for egg removal from nests or a handling/storage/dating failure? An A4, 5 Whys, or an 8D are all acceptable from involved parties.

Coop to carton, carton to fridge, when carton is full, it gets it's date. They fill up in 1-2 days so it's a bit easier since it's a daily task for us.
What about running a D.O.E.?

5Cent

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
North Central Ohio
10dz. water glassed today, plan is to let em sit until Feb/Mar before cracking the lid to try some for scrambled eggs. Then just pulling some each month to see how they do up to 1yr.

Got enough supplies to start another bucket in spring time if it works and noone is getting sick or complaining of taste. Used 2.5gal of distilled H2O + 12oz (weight) of lime. It left around 5"-6" of head space, so to fill it to the top I bet you could it 12-14dz in 2.75-3gal of solution.

View attachment 188773

Cracked the lid for the first time yesterday, day 93. No smell, no broken eggs. Took 20 off the top, rinsed and broke each into a small bowl before adding to the rest. Only difference is they are a little more runny and more than 50% broke their yoke when coming out. Cooked like normal scrambled eggs.

Me, Ty, and the Mrs. all ate a plate yesterday AM, still OK 1 day later. Next test will be in 30 more days.
20240309_084209.jpg
20240309_085045.jpg
20240309_085149.jpg
20240309_085821.jpg

Hedgelj

Supporting Member
Mohicanish
Cracked the lid for the first time yesterday, day 93. No smell, no broken eggs. Took 20 off the top, rinsed and broke each into a small bowl before adding to the rest. Only difference is they are a little more runny and more than 50% broke their yoke when coming out. Cooked like normal scrambled eggs.

Me, Ty, and the Mrs. all ate a plate yesterday AM, still OK 1 day later. Next test will be in 30 more days.View attachment 192419View attachment 192420View attachment 192421View attachment 192422
pretty much my exact experiences with them, we are finishing our last ones that we did last October

Reactions: 5Cent