Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

TOO Deer Contest Harvest Thread

huntn2

Hudson, OH
Please enter your qualifying kills here. As a reminder the scoring and picture guidelines are as follows...

Picture Guidelines:

With each deer, please post several pictures of your harvest. All submissions must include the following:

•1 picture of the hunter and the deer
•1 picture of each measurement (a total of 5 - both bases, longest main beam, longest tine and inside spread)
•1 picture must clearly show your tag

Scoring Guidelines:

•Does = 5 pts (spikes less than 3" are considered doe)
•Bucks = 10 pts
Tines = 1 pt per tine​
Age differentiator = Circumfrance of both bases + longest main beam + longest tine + inside spread (all measured to the nearest 1/4 of an inch)​

•Bonus potential - Participants earn a maximum of 5 pts per contestant with one of the following two methods:

Youth Bonus = 5 pts - taking a youth hunter (under 16) and photographing the hunt​
Trail Cam Bonus = 5 pts - harvesting a buck you have on camera​

Buck Score Example:

A hunter shoots a 9 pt buck. The measurements are as follows:

•Left base is 4.75"
•Right base is 5.00"
•Longest main beam is 21.00"
•Longest tine is 10.50"
•Inside spread is 19.25"

This buck is worth 79.5 points for the competition (10 pts for being a buck, 9 points for the 9 tines and 60.5 points for the 5 measurements).

As info, you guys do not need to worry about doing any math. Just post up the measurements with supporting pictures. I key them into my spreadsheet and the calculations are done for us.

Iowa_Buckeye

Smartest person here
Linn County Iowa
Team 9 is on the board with a youth hunt!
I took my 7 yr old daughter for her first outing tonight. I had knocked down a small patch of corn last weekend with the brush hog to hopefully improve our chances. Well, we had an opportunity at a young 6 point and she took a shot. The shot looked good (mule kick), but he ran off into the beans and then stopped and stood there for a bit. He eventually walked off very slowly. We waited about an hour and went and did a quick look (against my better judgement, but she begged me to). Good blood where he stood, but then not much after. We'll be back at the farm in the morning to take a better look in the daylight. Then I hope to take my 8 yr old out tomorrow evening.
A few pics from the evening:

In the blind and ready for action:
IMG_4246.jpg
A view out the window:
IMG_4248.jpg
The buck entering the corn:
IMG_4254.jpg
Just before the shot:
IMG_4256-1.jpg

Iowa_Buckeye

Smartest person here
Linn County Iowa
Thanks for the well wishes but no recovery this morning. The last little bit of blood we had he was heading into a bottom area that is flooding due to the rising river. She is pretty disappointed but I told here there will be more chances.

Iowa_Buckeye

Smartest person here
Linn County Iowa
Better luck tonight with my 8 year old!
We went to the back of the farm and set up in a different blind. We had just got in and I was getting the gun on the tripod when a doe and her yearling showed up. Reese made a perfect shot and she only ran about 75 yards and crashed in the corn. She was so excited!!! Said she had a lump in her belly just before the shot.
Good luck to all the other youth hunters who will be hitting the field soon.

IMG_4264.jpg