Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

To eat or not to eat

MK111

"Happy Hunting Grounds in the Sky"
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Depending on age, I will butcher differently. Does that are 1.5 and younger, along with button bucks, I will steak out the whole hind quarters except the small rump roast's, and steak out 1 of the loins and cut the other one in half and package them seperately for grilling whole. The rest of it gets ground up. Does that are 2.5 and older get the loins cut the same, and only the sirloins steaked out, and the rest of the hind end remains in roast's. Bucks get the loins steaked out, the hind ends all seperated into roast's, along with neck roast's, front shoulder roast's, then the rest ground up. Between all those different cuts, my favorite are the loins from mature bucks, as they have more flavor IMO. And then the meat from button bucks is pretty tender and has good flavor to it. I love the flavor of all deer meat, but Does are usually more tender but less of the deer flavor I love. The only bad tasting venison I ever had is stuff that comes from the professional butchers that use band saws and cut through fat and bone, transferring it throughout the meat. IMO, that's where most people who say they dont care for deer meat have gotten the bad taste from

I agree on the band saw and fat. I forgot to mention my dad said 'remove all fat and don't cut any bones' he was referring to 'old bulls' but the same is for wild game.

Buckmaster

Portage
I aim to shoot 1.5 year old does. Those are the best in my opinion.

If successful with a buck I typically pull the backstraps and tenderloins. The rest gets turned into ground meat for soups, chili, meat loaf, burgers, and sausage.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
I should add that I'm a lot like Ben. Nearly all of my deer are done the same: Loins and straps out whole, rest is ground. With younger deer, I will get some steaks and occasionally a roast. The vast majority of the meals I make using venison, call for ground meat, so that's what I get the most of.

Bigslam51

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Stark County
I should add that I'm a lot like Ben. Nearly all of my deer are done the same: Loins and straps out whole, rest is ground. With younger deer, I will get some steaks and occasionally a roast. The vast majority of the meals I make using venison, call for ground meat, so that's what I get the most of.
Right there with both of ya. Anything we eat that calls for ground meat is made with venison. I love having a freezer full of ground venison!

Buckmaster

Portage
Might I add if its 1.5 doe meat it usually goes into the freezer as is.

Buck meat however receives 1/3 part pork butt added. I did not do this last year to shortcut my efforts and now my wife refuses to cook with it (says it tastes gamey). I'll turn that into sausage with the proper pork mix post season. My buddy swears by adding bacon to his. He just scored a 10 pound box of bacon at Save A Lot for $ 24.99.

antiqucycle

East Ohio
No one mentioned how delicious road kills can be! Basic procedure is to avoid the ones that were run over by a semi. Hang em in the yard, hose em down, skin em, chop off smashed areas, hose em down a second time, then slice and dice. Yes they still taste great

heelbilly

I alternate mine as well, loins and backstraps out whole, then I slice the straps into 2" steaks, butterfly and freeze. Then I keep the roasts from the hams. I usually make jerky with one ham. Then grind the rest of the first deer with beef fat for burger. Second deer gets same treatment, except it gets mixed with pork fat for sausage.

The only bad tasting stuff I've had was stuff from a butcher, and back before I took the time to trim all the fat and most of the silver skin off the meat before freezing. I don't know age wise, but my buck a couple years ago was most likely 5.5 and he tasted fine. I wish I had the ability to age the meat because I hear that's the ticket.

MK111

"Happy Hunting Grounds in the Sky"
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
No one mentioned how delicious road kills can be! Basic procedure is to avoid the ones that were run over by a semi. Hang em in the yard, hose em down, skin em, chop off smashed areas, hose em down a second time, then slice and dice. Yes they still taste great

Try my method for blood shot meat. Cut it up normal, take a knife and slice into the blood shot area, soak in cold water (no salt) until the blood is gone, may take couple water changes. Since 1967 I have not lost one ounce of blood shot meat in over 50 deer and 2 elk as it just takes some work. My dad taught me this trick and it works.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Most of ours is burger as well. Inner loins and backstraps are separated. Rear hams go to roasts if we need it. If we have plenty of roast, they go to burger or are cubed for canned deer meat. I don't mix any pork into ours. Straight deer burger. Only thing the wife buys ground beef for is meat loaf or hamburgers.

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Straight deer for me... No mixing... That's blasphemy IMO! Lol. I've killed and butchered several 3.5+ yr old bucks and never had one taste strong, not even during the rut. I've even cut em up, ground, and eaten on the same day I killed em... Swear to God, you'd never guess it was a buck. You absolutely HAVE to trim ALL of the fat and sinew from the meat, or at least as much as possible. That is the stuff that makes deer meat taste strong. And that's exactly why almost all deer coming from a commercial processor will have a gamey taste. They just don't take the time to really trim the meat out. There is no need to add unnecessary fat to your burger. Add some olive oil to the pan when cooking if you want. If you press patties in a good burger press, they'll hold together just fine on the grill or in a pan.

If you absolutely must process a big old buck a different way, try pressure canning. It will turn any cut of meat into the most tender stuff imaginable. I usually add some beef bouillon powder prior to canning, and sometimes onion or green pepper. Canning is a great way to process deer and saves you a ton of freezer space.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
I canned some last year and it was awesome. One suggestion is if you add salt when you can, use a deft touch when cooking it. First batch of noddles I made with it was a tad salty because I underestimated the saltiness the meat gained from the 1/4tsp of canning salt.

at1010

*Supporting Member*
Anyone else blood soak meat in salt water. I do this with all lions, steaks, roasts. Never ate a bad deer.

HeartLunger

Never soaked meat. But let's face it; when someone complains about "gamey tasting meat" that meat isn't fresh. Also, a common misconception is that deer need to hang like beef. This just isn't so. Quarter your deer and pack on ice if you can't get to it right away. The quicker you cut and freeze the deer after harvest the fresher it will taste.

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Never soaked meat. But let's face it; when someone complains about "gamey tasting meat" that meat isn't fresh. Also, a common misconception is that deer need to hang like beef. This just isn't so. Quarter your deer and pack on ice if you can't get to it right away. The quicker you cut and freeze the deer after harvest the fresher it will taste.
I totally agree. I've never noticed a distinct difference in taste or tenderness between deer I've let hang and deer I've butchered same day.