Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Tis' the season!

Bigslam51

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Stark County
Was shooting my bow tonight and started to hear a scraping noise. It had me puzzled so I stopped shooting. When I did some further investigating I found that one of the adjustment screws had come loose on the cam and was almost all the way out! Thank goodness it didn't!

That was close!

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Feeling pretty good right now as well. Just need to focus on follow thru and not punching the trigger and I am good to 50yds. Was shooting better at 40yds than 20 or 30 last night. I think the longer shots made me focus on the little things and it helped me when I moved back in closer. Weird. Really just need to shoot daily from here out and wash my gear and I am ready.

bthompson1004

NWOhio!
The best close range practice you can get is to shoot from a long, long way.

Ihave just discovered this...i have been really focused on my 20 and 30 yd groups...when i'm happy with that, i move to 40 and see where i'm at with only a few arrows....move back to 20yds and it feels closer to target, target feels like its bigger and groups are a lot tighter!

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
The best close range practice you can get is to shoot from a long, long way.

I am learning this as well. Found my focus on minute details of my shot and release was better at longer yardages. When I walked back in closer, it tightened my groups. Just me. Might not work for everyone. Then again, maybe I was just rushing my close shots or maybe I was just rusty. Don't listen to me. I am not the archery expert around here. Plenty of guys real knowledgeable on TOO. We are blessed to have them to help the rest of us out.

Redhunter1012

Supporting Member
I step out and start at 45 yards and move in. I typically shoot 3-4 sessions a week, with maybe 30 arrows a session. Lately I have been practicing shooting from different angles instead of perfect form. Bending of knees, leaning out, kneeling down, etc..

Strother23

Columbus, OH
I step out and start at 45 yards and move in. I typically shoot 3-4 sessions a week, with maybe 30 arrows a session. Lately I have been practicing shooting from different angles instead of perfect form. Bending of knees, leaning out, kneeling down, etc..

That's a very good point. Most people don't practice the funny type shots or angles. Myself included, I need to set some time aside and practice them. I really helps when shooting from a stand or blind.

Bigslam51

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Stark County

I shot different angles tonight, mainly bending my knees to stimulate shooting under a branch.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Been considering hanging a ladder stand in my yard just to practice shooting elevated positions. Good ideas on leaning, etc. Last year I did lots sitting or kneeling as I take sitting shots from my stand at times.

bthompson1004

NWOhio!
Am I doing it right?

photo.jpg

Kind of feels, oh so good!

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
As far as shooting, I try to just shoot 3 arrows each at 20,30&40 and maybe a round at 50 at a couple of times each week or every other day once we get within 2 weeks of season. Just try to make each shot perfect and pretend each shot is my one and only shot at a once in a lifer deer. Working on my anchoring,bow arm and grip,form,mental process and follow through my main focus.