Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Thoughts?

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
The only pics I have show a bloody mess. I don't want to post it. It is however very similar to every other coyote you've ever seen. :)

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
I don't think deer leave because of coyotes but rather coyotes leave because the deer have left. Deer can't get away from yotes, I assume they left for better wintwring grounds. But, who knows?

I spoke with a legendary coyote trapper in these parts this morning. The man kills around 70 a year in a two or three week span. That's just nuts. I'm hoping to get him to tag along with me and perhaps take care of the resident population up there. I tried to give him the one I killed this morning but he wasn't interested. Apparently the market is down.

COB-TY

Retired to the happy hunting grounds above.
Ohio
Bedding and food will keep deer in the area, which don't you have Brock?

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ted, as far as my eyes can see, I am on the best property in the area. Seriously, I cannot for the life of me imagine why a deer would ever leave the place, but they do. I haven't a clue where they went, but am happy to see a few returning. Don't get me wrong, the place is not overrun with deer now, but there are a few around and there hadn't been for weeks. I went by one farm that used to look like a metro park with tracks everywhere, there were relatively few. There just aren't many deer in the area, and they move around like a school of fish. It happens during hunting season too. Luckily for me, the school seems to be in session on my property during the rut, provided the surrounding crops are off.

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
As I'd hoped, with the weather breaking, the deer seem to be moving back onto the farm. Seth and I went up there this morning to check snares. We saw half a dozen or so deer while on the farm. I'd love to know where it is that they have been through the harsh weather. The landowner has started getting pics at the cornpile again too. I think Seth will agree, its as good as the habitat gets in the area. No idea why they leave.

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
It's not the same property we were on the other day, Ric. If there had been any deer on the place over the winter, I'd have taken you up there to have a look around for antlers. We did not see any still carrying horns today, but one deer looked like it was pretty big in relation to the others in one group.

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
I was also thinking that since there was so much deer scat in and around the CRP areas we walked that maybe the bucks in your area might still be carrying. I'd definitely walk it again towards the end of the month if I were you.

Boarhead

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Good job on the yote Brock and the deer will be back. On one of my farms they vanished during the cold weather figured all yarded up and now they are starting to show back up. Only seems to happen when we have a really bad winter like this past one. Good luck on taking some more yotes out. And yes they all look alike and stink.

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
If I were you, I would walk it too. Since I am me, I will not. :) Mason said after our stroll the other day, "It's a lot easier to find them when they are still on their head". I may look a little, but I'm not putting much effort into it, I'll promise you that! :) ...and again, that is not the same property I was referring to in this thread.

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
I really need to hang more snares, Brian. There are so many places for them to go, trails to follow etc, and I only have a handful of snares hanging. I'm going to have to put a little more effort into it for the effect I want.

COB-TY

Retired to the happy hunting grounds above.
Ohio
Brock like I said two things hold deer, food and cover. There must be some place around you with better of both for the deer to leave.

LonewolfNopack

The woods
As I'd hoped, with the weather breaking, the deer seem to be moving back onto the farm. Seth and I went up there this morning to check snares. We saw half a dozen or so deer while on the farm. I'd love to know where it is that they have been through the harsh weather. The landowner has started getting pics at the cornpile again too. I think Seth will agree, its as good as the habitat gets in the area. No idea why they leave.

Thanks again Brock for taking me out. I am excited to hang some snares behind my house now. Like Brock said, this place has it ALL, and is truly a diamond in the rough for the area that he is in. We did see a half dozen deer yesterday, but still nowhere near the amount of fresh sign one would expect to see in an area like this. Plenty of wood browse and bedding cover around. The amount of other places they could go is very limited. Didn't surprise me though. I have seen the same thing in my neck of the desert. Wish I had a better explanation other then the more we research and try to learn about deer, the more we realize how little we really know. And for those who asked about a pic of the yote that Brock caught, trust me you don't wanna see it. It is currently laying in the back of the truck and every time I walk by it scares the shit out of me.