Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Thoughts and ideas first hunting dog

IwBowhunt207

I recently picked up a yellow lab a month ago. His names Duke. I want to get into training him to retrieve ducks and geese. I enrolled him on puppy school starting August 13th. He is pure lab his dad was around 90lbs but I do not have papers for him. Any pointers on where to start are much appreciated I am also looking online for info thank you guys

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Find a training program, any program, and stick to it. If you do that you will have a good gundog. Also check out Freddy King's videos on YouTube... he's got an entire series that are pretty good.

A few tips...

Build up the retrieving desire early on, but don't let the dog think everything you throw is his. Once the desire is there, only have him pick up half the ones you throw or less. This will help with steadiness and patience.

Be consistent... same standards for every command, EVERY time. No matter where you are or what you're doing, expect the same level of response to a command and be ready to enforce. Sort of along those lines, don't give any commands that you aren't able to enforce. If you're dog won't "come" and you keep yelling "come!" and you have no way of physically reeling him back in, guess what...you're simply teaching him it's okay to ignore you. That's not good.

Another one that's often overlooked... make it a daily habit of digging around in your dog's ears, eyes, mouth, paws, etc. You want that dog totally comfortable with you poking and prodding. When the day comes, and it surely will, that your dog gets a millet seed in its eye or a thorn in its paw, you need to be able to dig it out without a struggle. This is incredibly important. Same with toenails... trim them suckers regularly. Nothing worse than a poor dog with nails that are too long because the owner is afraid of hurting the dog.

Good luck!

IwBowhunt207

Jager mister thank you very much me and my boys plan on sticking with this my oldest is 12 and I'm bringing him up right god family and hunting I want many years to come of great hunting with both kids and dog!!!! Thanks you again

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Sure thing! Sounds like you're off to a good start.

Another thing I thought of, don't hunt the dog too early if you can help it. Or at least if you take him, just let him watch for a while. Hunting them too early (<1 yr old) is a good way to start some bad habits and poor behaviors.

IwBowhunt207

I figured my next early goose season he will be 16months I figured I'd start him then. Funny as hell tho 4th of July he was running around by us and sleeping thru all are fireworks hahaha I hope he's just as good with the gunsl ol

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Sure doesn't hurt that the fireworks don't bother him. Lots of solid advice on here. I have dogs but am in no position to help you out. There are many guys here (and threads here) which will benefit you. Best I can offer is to work on the basic obedience commands as you sort out how you want to train him to hunt. Just the time and bonding spent together will go far. Once you get into hunting specific training. . . ask someone else. haha I don't bird hunt.

tjeep

I really like Mike Lardy's DVD series. Think about it what's 150 bucks when your going to have the dog for the next 10-15 years. One thing I would caution you on, if your not experienced with E-collars, find someone to train with that is experienced. I have seen many a good dog ruined with an e collar and an inexperienced handler. Biggest thing is obedience and keeping it fun! Do not give a command you do not intend to enforce! Enjoy and post progress pics.