Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Things are getting better.

Ohiosam

*Supporting Member*
Mahoning Co.
I got to a couple of gunshops this week. Selection of firearms is much better, prices too. I ordered some P-mags last week from Aim surplus for $12.95 and they came in a few days. Ammo is more available, prices are high, but you can get some if you need it.

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
I got to a couple of gunshops this week. Selection of firearms is much better, prices too. I ordered some P-mags last week from Aim surplus for $12.95 and they came in a few days. Ammo is more available, prices are high, but you can get some if you need it.

Hit the cabelas out here in Grand Forks and walked in just as they were loading the shelves up... .22 rounds were stocked full and by the time a friend went back after he saw what we had gotten 2 hours later it was gone.... Guy stocking said they're coming in more regularly in the last couple of weeks.... Guns on the other hand, most of the popular handguns were zero balance and no idea when they would be in..... But I'm stocked up on .22 rounds for a while....

Last edited:

Mike

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Up Nort
When I can go into my local Walmart or Meijer and out of the blue pick up some .22 ammo, things will be better.

FredT

SE Ohio
My daughter works at the Cabela's in Cbus. Now I have an inside person to get me stuff off of the truck. Aquilla .22 LR just came in for $45.00 + a brick. Did not want to pay that much just yet. Got 23 bricks in the basement so I can be a bit picky right now. The stuff is comming in more regularly now.

oakswamper

around Toledo
They made the Gander Mountain in Toledo strictly a gun shop. there was a sign up last week saying you can only buy 2 boxes of any .22.. Bullshit if you ask me

dante322

*Supporting Member*
Crawford county
been checking the sportsmans den in shelby for a couple months looking for cci .22. they finally got some. picked up my 2 boxes today. might go back tomorrow for 2 more.

yotehunter

spencerville oh
If people would relax a little prices will return too normal. It was a price a demand deal. People got scared and shit hit the fan don't hat me wrong I bout some myself but I think once things calm down it will get back too normal.

P-mags have been available here for few months at the normal $12.95 price. 9mm is still hard to find. So much for IDPA this year. I might just trade my P226 for a Hoyt Pro Comp Elite with spiral X cams.

Last edited:

Ohiosam

*Supporting Member*
Mahoning Co.
Most of the gunshops have a limited variety of ammo at prices that aren't unreasonable. Saw some subsonic Rem .22 lr at Salem Walmart the other morning.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
While that may sound like a logical explanation for .22. It doesn't hold water when considering everything as a whole IMO. How about the other 20-30 most popular rounds? An less popular rounds. Are people really hoarding 12ga #7.5 target loads? Why is there only one box 7mm wssm on the shelf? Who is hoarding 45-70? How about Imported supply? This would require every gun owner to be spending money all the time, on all the calibers, for over a year, on every round they can get their hands on.

Ohiosam

*Supporting Member*
Mahoning Co.
When ammo got tight after Obama's election a guy I knew was buying every bit of ammo he could afford. He told me he had almost 2500 rounds of .380. I asked what .380 pistol he owned and he didn't even own one. I'm sure some of the same type of hoarding is going on now where people are buying stuff they wouldn't shoot in 3 life times.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
When ammo got tight after Obama's election a guy I knew was buying every bit of ammo he could afford. He told me he had almost 2500 rounds of .380. I asked what .380 pistol he owned and he didn't even own one. I'm sure some of the same type of hoarding is going on now where people are buying stuff they wouldn't shoot in 3 life times.

But for that to have an actual impact that would have to be going on in a very very massive scale. Not just a guy you know. But lots of guys you know. Most people even on this website have probably picked up a few boxes here and there outside of what they would've normally purchased but nothing of staggering quantities. And we are the people who would be most likely to hold such ammunition considering we are the people who predominately own guns. I'm not denying the fact that there has been a substantial increased in people buying ammunition. I'm simply saying there is more too it than just that. With .223 5.56 .45 9mm and even .22lr I can see it. As we can directly correlate that to increased gun sales. So who has been buying up all the 22 shorts? Most guns sold today are .22 auto loaders that can't shoot it. Whose been buying up all the 7mm rem ultra mag that used to sit on the shelf so long it had dust on the box. Where is the 45 long colt? Can't be that many new cowboys. Yet all across the shelves it's bare. Good luck finding a case of 12 ga trap loads. That's all I'm saying. I don't believe people are hoarding as much as we think. Nobody I know really is. Hunters or city folk.

Ohiosam

*Supporting Member*
Mahoning Co.
The most popular calibers (.223, .308, '06, 9, .40 etc) would probably have dedicated lines the run all the time. The "unusual" stuff like 7rum are done in batches. Run X# of cases and convert to .30 rum repeat. They might be using those lines trying to catch up on the popular stuff.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
So increased production. Like I mentioned earlier there should also be an extra 5.5 million rounds of 5.56. Tons of 9mm. Plenty of 7.62. And repurpose all those lines making 50 bmg which is just big 30-06 that's no longer needed in Iraq. And that's not adding in the wind down in Afghanistan. So there stands to reason that supply should be available now to civilians. Increase demand increase production. I'm sure hornady can find floor space and capital investors out the ass. The limit to increased production is what the market can bear.

How many rounds did we send to the Muslim brotherhood last summer? How many in Syria, Egypt. Etc. how many is our government hoarding? These are all variables that would have a far far bigger impact on supply than bubba.