Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

They have balls

whack

Honestly thought this was a doe. first kill this year. (Thank god it was in wv) Was with a momma and 2 fawns one I saw one fawn was a button I assumed this was another doe with the group. Never saw the horns was walking broadside ImageUploadedByTapatalk1352132684.987939.jpg

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
Well doesn't this point to one of the rules of hunting, know you target and beyond?

Also, is this more of a gun season issue? If archery, I wouldn't think the shots would be far enough to make the mistake?

I think that rule is intended to be more towards making sure its a deer and not a human. Or that there isn't a barn on the other side of the thicket.

The way that I feel about it is stop trying to reduce the doe population and a funny thing will happen. There will be more button bucks around because the dose will have more. And people wouldn't be so inclined to shoot a button buck if they actually saw more of those does.

Dannmann801

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Springboro
I am not suggesting anything here.......Just stating what happened to a friend on an honest mistake: He shot a doe and it ran into a small thicket. When he got up to the thicket, a doe came out of that thicket on the right. He put her down. He then seen a doe lying in the thicket dead. But he only had one doe tag left. He opted to do the right thing and explained it to the "Proper Authorities".....asking if it could be donated or something being a mistake. Cost him a chunk of money and loss of license for 1 year.

That just sucks for your friend.
See, I'm thinking that if a sportsman comes clean like that, a reasonable GM would find a way to not penalize the hunter but not reward him either.
The GM could have given the guy a pass, but made him leave the deer lay.

But then as a GM, what do you do? If word gets around you're "flexible", you'll be dealing with more BS calls, as if you didn't have enough already.

That just sux.

DJK Frank 16

Supporting Member
Hardin County
That just sucks for your friend.
See, I'm thinking that if a sportsman comes clean like that, a reasonable GM would find a way to not penalize the hunter but not reward him either.
The GM could have given the guy a pass, but made him leave the deer lay.

But then as a GM, what do you do? If word gets around you're "flexible", you'll be dealing with more BS calls, as if you didn't have enough already.

That just sux.

Around here someone being honest would get the same penalty and treatment as the guys that are poaching them at night. Just the way it is.