Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

The PA Apple Tree

As everyone else has said this is a cool post!! Definitely looking forward to seeing how they turn out! I've often said I'd love to take the apple tree behind our house when we move down there as it often produces a ton of apples. I know deer like them because I have often brought buckets of them down.

Do you have experience doing other trees such as oaks or even chestnuts?

Buckmaster

Portage
I’m still working on my propagation project. I was in PA last week and took a pic of my donor tree. It still holds half its apples.

Attachments

• EA60647A-8FFF-4864-8D20-7DFF117BCFDE.jpeg
    EA60647A-8FFF-4864-8D20-7DFF117BCFDE.jpeg
    511 KB · Views: 275

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
How did your first batch of cutting work out? Not sure how the hell I missed this last year. Cool project.

Buckmaster

Portage
First batch results....Out of 24 cuttings I ended up with 3 that leafed out.....then died. I saw some fungal spots on the lower bases most likely a result of over watering and/or poor ventilation.

I now have some actual root shoots in one of my raised bed gardens so we'll see what happens this Spring from an outdoor perspective.

If I fail....I can always make a trip to PA for some more cuts/roots.

My end goal is to transplant about a dozen of these in an orchard like manner at my home and my camp.

They are red apples and are a quite tart however when its the last food source in Jan-Feb you know the critters won't be too far away.

The ground beat down over in PA under this single tree is significant. There is no grass left and nothing but a million hoof prints in the mud.

Reactions: Sgt Fury and giles
Cool project, hope you have success. I do the same thing here with hosta plants. I use a leaf cutting with a few inches of stem and put them in small jars full of tap water until they root. Much faster way to multiply than just doing a plant division. I'd say 90% success doing this. But hostas are not woody plants so fairly easy to propagate.

Buckmaster

Portage
I transplanted one 6 footer in front of our Tower stand at camp a couple weeks ago. I have 5 more in my garden that will be ready for transplant to my new orchard area in the Spring. I will need to get some pollinators as well. I’ll obtain some more cuttings from the original tree late April before green up.