Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

The One That Got Away

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
I would be more inclined to think a puncture wound from a tine or something similar. Then again, I didn't see it. I know I've told the story about the doe I shot through BOTH lungs in 1995. I don't think anyone believes that one, but it's the truth. Found her still alive at 11am the day after I shot her. One of only two I finished with a knife. No more of that for me.

Kaiser878

ohio
I believe it brock.... there are anomalies in the deer world.

I don't think it could have been a deer tine. But I can't say for sure. The rib had a perfect hole through it..... and was slightly attached on the one side.... it was unreal. And like I said, the lung was basicly gone.... just a shriveled up mess of fibrous tissue.....

Like I said, when I get home I'll do my best to retrieve the pictures. ....

One other weird thing I had happen. I shot a big doe several years ago with a bow..... perfecrly broadside. The arrow entered and exited 1 inch behind the shoulders. When I retriwved the arrow it had guts on it...I swore i hit that deer perfect. . so we waited till the next day,began tracking, there was stomach contents and dark red blood. She was dead after about 150 yards..... when we found her the arrow holes were rt where I thought I hit her. 1 inch behind the shoulder, and exit was 1 inch behind on the other side.

When I gutted her, the diagram was way further forward than I have ever seen. Literally was located mid shoulder. And the arrow hit liver and guts.... the pleural cavity was spotless inside. No blood and no punctures..... lungs were untouched.... I was floored. Never seen anything like it

CJD3

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NE Ohio
Well Mike, I'm glad you have closure.
Sounds like your shot was close to the "No-mans-land" area.

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
I wish we had a photo of exsctly where the arrow entered and exited. I'm curious....

Because the arrow could have potentially hit one lung..... things like this amaze me.... these animals are tough... I woild have never believed a deer could live with a punctured lung.... but I have gutted two of them in 4 years that had a completely decimated lung.... and we're extremely healthy otherwise.

I totally agree that this is what "might" have happened when Karissa shot her deer!

Again, glad you have closure Mike as I know all too well after what we went through what you yourself have been going through!