Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

The Darn Deer are bedding in the corn

Sorry I have to rant a few min.

The last time I checked the camers , I only had 2 doe's , couple of fawns and 2 small bucks
Some a number of times
Over a 10+ day span

So I have been going out watch just before dark and if time , first light

No the bucks and most of the doe's have not left
It is the same BS that happens almost every year

The deer have moved into the corn
Don't blame them
Coolder and less skeeters
With the primary food source just yards away

Localy , we have small wood lots/ creek lines and CPR fields for cover
But the rest is corn , beans and wheat , no local hay feilds
All the local wheat feilds are worked up and no Rye has been planted yeat

So right now the main food sources are Beans and what ever green brouse the deer find along the creek and CPR feilds

So I am trying to keep up beat
As it is tough watching the deer come out of the corn feilds to feed in the beans
As they never seem to enter or exit the corn the same place 2 times in a row

So till the beans turn and become less of a draw
I have 2 places to hunt
1 is to hope a buck wanders through the woods while I am in the stand
Or hunt the water

So I normaly start the season watching the creek crossings
As it is common to watch the deer come out of the corn to drink at the same spots
Year after year

As it was lightly raining today
I did my final check of several stands along the creek

I watched a decent 8 point cross the creek next to one of my stands and head straight into the corn
And saw lots of tracks comeing from and into the corn along the CPR that borders the creek line

But no true trails
Just tracks all along the 1/2 mile I have to hunt

So till the crops start to come off
It will be hit or miss for me

I took the first week of early goose off to hunt
Today it has been raining on and off all day
So the geese didn't fly
So I have been doing work around the house

Been a rotten day to be off
But still better than working
Back to work in the am though

Oh well

Rant mode off

John

Rutin

Ina Duck Blind
I just checked my number one camera myself and noticed a huge drop in numbers as well. The shooters are coming in but not until dark now, and its obvious bc they are walking right out of the corn to get here. Ive got small bean field surrounded by corn and the deer do the same thing each year, once velvet starts to drop they run for the corn and chill out! I will officially start baiting with corn now to draw them out a little earlier and make it easier to attract deer. I already have stand set that look over beans so it looks like I will use them as observation and then move in for the kill once I pattern a few.

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Where there's standing corn, there's deer. It's nothing new... in NW Ohio, standing corn is their number one bedding choice. Does it make things difficult?... Yes. Can you still strategize and kill a biggun?... Yep... Just ask Gern.

I feel your pain, John. My first ten years of deer hunting were in/around the NW Ohio corn country. I killed a fair amount of deer, but never really could figure out the corn patterns of the big bucks.

RedCloud

Super Moderator
Super Mod
North Central Ohio
My big boys are stuck in the corn now as well. I haven't had anything over a 6pt on cam in about a week and a half now. Now I just have to figure out what corn field they went to and try and figure out where they are coming in and out getting into the woods to get the acorns when they start falling here in the next couple weeks.