Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

The Coolest Thing

Huckleberry Finn

I had a chipmonk climb up the leg of my black Carhartts during one muzzleloader season sitting on the ground.

And, the story that no one believes.

On my best morning of squirrel hunting ever, I had 3 in the pouch and was walking along the trail. It was a beautiful Saturday morning, cool and calm. I was wearing a half belt pouch and I heard a clunk..what the heck? It was a metallic sound and I reached into the semi-open pocket and there's a acorn laying next to my dip can...I walked 15 more feet, turned around at the base of a tree, and popped the squirrel that was shimmying down the tree to retrieve the acorn he dropped on me!

MK111

"Happy Hunting Grounds in the Sky"
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
I am hunting in Indiana and before daylight I hear a guy with a climber going up a tree across the valley. Next thing I hear is him yelling AAAAAAAAAAAA and a scrapping noice has he slides down the tree.
Couple minutes later he is climbing back and again AAAAAAAAAAAAA and a scraping noice has he is sliding down the tree.
10 minutes later I see him walking away. I always thought I sure hope he wasn't skinned up too bad as that fall can surely ruin your day or life. At least he held onto the tree all the way down
Frank

Redhunter1012

Supporting Member
Maybe 10 years ago during the Deer Gun season me and my Nephew Nick push a woods that we all bowhunted at the time. After the push we meet up with my dad and Nick's older brother Richard. Nick says, "well, we didn't push any deer out but I found these sweet ass gloves back in the woods that are soft as hell". While saying this he was rubbing both of them on his cheeks and his face. Richard then just starts laughing his ass off and we were all just looking at him like, WTF? In between catching his breath from laughing he manages to inform nick that a week prior he used those gloves to wipe his ass after climbing out of his stand and shitting during a bowhunt. Im not sure if I've ever laughed so hard in my life.

Last year I was hunting a little ways from our property line. It was about an hour before prime time when I have several does come running off of the other property. Of course I figured it must have been a buck chasing since it was during the rut but soon I hear a 4 wheeler coming in the distance. The woods are pretty open so I could see the guy drive down their trail and drop off his treestand and then drive back towards the houses. Soon here he comes tromping back out....snap, crack, pop, cough.... He gets to the tree and starts putting the stand on, must have been an old climber. Clank, clunk, ting, cough...soon he was on his way up the tree. I will never forget the sound that aluminum stand made on the tree as he drug it up without any care... scrape, clank, scrape, clank... I tell you the guy no more than gets settled, pulls his bow up and soon......crack...bang...clack...he starts rattling as if there were 5 deer fighting all at once. He does this for about 10 minutes!!! I am half pissed off and half laughing my ass off by this time!! It was so close to prime time I could only hope he would just stop and let things quiet down. Maybe 20 minutes go by and I don't hear much from him other than a light cough so I think I am golden. Crack....bang...clack.. there he goes again with the rattling!! This time it only lasts for about 5 minutes straight. He ends up doing 4 more rattling sequences before the end of the evening.....and then with a good half hour left of light.......quitting time for him.....scrape....clank....clunk...ting...scrape...clank... OMG I couldn't believe it!!

Well he leaves the stand at the base of the tree and starts heading back toward their houses and sure enough he starts spooking deer out of the thicket and they start heading my way. I counted no less than 20 deer beelining it off of their property!! Of course it's gotten pretty dark by now and soon I realize he's coming back again with the 4 wheeler!! I just sat there in disbelief as him and another guy start heading back out. Figuring they were headed out to pick up the stand I started preparing for my descent. Well, they stop and start wandering around with flashlights. Here I start thinking there is no way they are tracking a deer!! That's all I could think of.....one would walk with his flashlight and the other followed with the 4 wheeler!! These guys were talking back and forth, shouting at times. They do this for 25-30 minutes and soon I decide I needed to get going. Well my dad had been waiting for me and saw these guys down there looking around so he gets nearer the property line and shines his lights their way thinking maybe it was me over there I guess.

Soon the guy on the 4 wheeler heads up and talks to my dad......yep just as I guessed.......HE SAID THEY WERE NIGHT SCOUTING!!! WTF IS THAT?!?!?! He wanted to check out the scrapes and rubs along their trails and put scent out..... Made my stand choices much easier the week they were there!! Oh and it did help our deer sightings that week as well!! Maybe I got something to learn bout this night scouting shit!!

Last edited:

Fullbore

South Eastern Ohio
Lmao, well ChuckC. There's a prime example.." It takes all kinds " !!! Isn't it amazing how other guys hunt? This night scouting is something new.lol. Very funny stuff.