Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Team 3

MK111

"Happy Hunting Grounds in the Sky"
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
I went out this morning and after a long list of comedy of errors I shot a nice doe with a smokeless ML. now onto the search for a nice buck.

Boone

*Supporting Member*
N.E. O-H-I-O
Way to go guys! We need some pictures, please :smiley_clap:

Fall sports are finally over, so now I finally have some "me" time! Too bad the weather doesn't want to cooperate in the short term.

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
My daughters volleyball season ended last night and we only have a Nov 9th ceremony to attend in the evening left to go to! This has definitely opened up my hunting time bigtime! Just wish these storms would push on through so I can get out and hunt on my off days! Dang it!!!

MK111

Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Hang in there Rick these storms can't last forever. I plan on couple weekend morning hunts in my woods to see if the bucks are moving yet. I didn't hunt in the woods on a main N-S trail until Oct. 26 in 2013 and seen 4 bucks on 2 morning hunts before noon and didn't see one doe.
This last weekend on Sunday I seen 11 does in 3 hrs. and didn't see a buck. Maybe the October lull for bucks.

Last edited:

MK111

Supporting Member
SW Ohio
I had a big plan to hunt this weekend. But I worked the Dayton gunshow last Saturday and I'll be damn if after 7 days I came down with a bad cold. Eyes and nose running nonstop and sneezing so I'm not too stealthy. I guess I'll have to let it run it's course. I might just go set in my tower and deer watch.
Next week is getting closer to the searching phase anyway.
I'll finish up my R&D project this afternoon to clear up a scrap problem.

Boone

*Supporting Member*
N.E. O-H-I-O
I hunted Friday night and only saw 1 little doe. Acorns still falling everywhere. Rough start so far for me, 4 sits with 4 deer total, all does. Still not much movement on camera. Probably headed back out on Thursday.

MK111

Supporting Member
SW Ohio
We are supposed to have a NWN wind all this week. That's not a perfect wind direction to hunt my woods. But that was about the same wind direction when I shot my buck on Oct. 26th last year. I'll give it a try later ythis week.

MK111

Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Looks like the wind direction changes from NWN to the SW on Thursday afternoon and stays that direction for several days. I can finally hunt my woods pinch point. It should be prime searching period by the weekend.

bthompson1004

NWOhio!
Boone, sorry to hear you're not seeing a lot of movement right now...but hopefully things will all change for you soon...I'm sure they will.

Frank, you're a busy ass man...seems like you got a lot going on, take care of yourself first and be safe out there brother...bet you're all geeked up to hunt that pinch point TOO! I would be. great update TOO by the way!

Ric, when you're kids are in fall sports its kind of bittersweet when bow opens up and bittersweet again when the fall sport concludes...but at least it does conclude...we are entering our last weekend of travel soccer...Woohooo!

I am planning on skipping out of work around noon today...run one errand and then I'm sitting in the stand till dark....the only day time pics I have over the last week is of 2 nice size does coming in around 6:45....I would love to put one of them in the freezer tonight!

Good luck to everyone...Go team 3!

5Cent

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
North Central Ohio
Good luck this weekend if you're getting out. Looks like an unfortunate warm-up, but I'll be in the stand tonight and tomorrow morning. Then family and trick-or-treating takes place Sunday and my stand is too close to the road :)

MK111

Supporting Member
SW Ohio
I pulled the cam pictures yesterday. No bucks in pictures but a lot of blank pictures. The damn cam trigger is just too slow to check the deer in front of the cam. Also got 2 coyotes pictures one at night and one in middle of the day. Walking right down my 20 yd. trail in front of my ladder stand.

Notice my ladder stand behind the coyote. Same one I shot my buck in 2013.

Last edited:

MK111

Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Heading out this morning for my 1st bow hunt of the season. Be hunting in my ladder stand I shot my buck in 2013. It's 20 yds. off on a N-S main trail through my pinch point woods next to my food plots. The corn field adjoin the woods was picked this week so the standing corn is gone and should add to the traffic through the woods.
Report later after noon. Then I plan to put up a new ladder stand on the North end of my food plot.

I got into my stand at 7:00 and at 7:15 I seen my neighbor walk back to his stand about 200 yds. east of me. He's down wind so it shouldn't cause and problems, He's setting on the picked corn field.

At 8:00 I seen the rear end of a deer going into the brush about 50 yds. away and that was it for the day except squirrels and turkeys.
I broke off some brush for better view of the trail.

Grandson is on the way back to help me hang the ladder stand on the North end of the food plot.

Last edited:

Boone

*Supporting Member*
N.E. O-H-I-O
Went out over the weekend. Movement has finally picked up here. Sunday night I saw 6 deer with a forkhorn following/harassing 3 of the does. Can't wait for the big cool down.

Good luck guys!

bthompson1004

NWOhio!
great update Boone...glad you got out and saw movement...I'm hoping to sneak out tomorrow morning or friday morning...I'm saving my doe tag for my metropark hunt though...target buck hunting only on the land I have permission on.

good luck to everyone!