Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Team 15

Redhunter1012

Supporting Member
Redhunter you using the scentsmoker? We have had so many deer downwind this yr and not one has winded us as long as we smoke up good.
I put my uncles grandson on this buck yesterday and he was directly downwind and had no clue anyone was there.Good Luck! View attachment 25520View attachment 25521

Absolutely, I do. This is my 5th season using it. Id rather hunt in blue jeans and a white T shirt while smoked up then in my camo while not smoked up. Tonight that same small 6 point fed all around me for an hour and never suspected anything

Schu72

Streetsboro
Planning to head back down on Friday. Will pull carmera cards first thing and see if there is any sign of the buck I shot. If not there is a stud of a 7 that I had in bow range multiple times last week. Heck of a deer...too bad he is only a 7. Still feels wierd even thinking of shooting another buck.

Redhunter1012

Supporting Member
I've gotten out for a few evening hunts lately, and yesterday morning. I've had a parade of 2.5 year old bucks come to horns/grunting. Just no big boys. Talked to an older fella that watches the main area I hunt, and he said the local poacher has been trampling around the section trying to still hunt. He watched 2 big boys and a shitload of does cross the street to another section. So I may leave that area for a few days and try some other locations

Boarhead

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
I have been out with my uncle and cousin last couple days.My cousin shot over a big 10 this morning.Had 3 bucks cruise by with nose to the ground.Good luck guys so far has been a great rut in our area.

Schu72

Streetsboro
Just finished reviewing cameras and no pics of the buck I shot. Actually pretty slow...not what I expected. Had a few of the big 7 and a few new up and commers. Going to hunt here tonight and might hit the other farm in the morning.

Redhunter1012

Supporting Member
Damn, I came close the last 2 nights. Last night I rattled in a 125" 8 point. He had to have been bedded about 75 yards from me. I no sooner finished and he was walking right in on me. Problem was, I couldn't quite tell what he was due to the nasty crap he was in. I actually had multiple shots at him inside the woods, but I wasn't sure of his size. Once he came out into the edge of the field, I knew he was a shooter, but he came in quartering to me to about 25 yards. He looked forever and just didn't like the fact that he couldn't find the fight he heard, He turned right around and left the area on a trot. Then tonight I had one of our target bucks, one we call Samsonite, cross behind me in the woods through the only area we cant get a shot. He wouldn't stop for anything. He hit the field edge and was nose to the ground heading the other way. I work till 7 am, I will do a little spot and hopefully stalk in the morning on the way home. I should get back out tomorrow evening

Redhunter1012

Supporting Member
I almost made it happen on a spot and stalk this morning. I had a big 8pt running 3 does across a cut corn field towards a heavy wooded creek bottom. I parked and ran my ass off to get into position. I got ahead of them and right where I needed. Problem was, the buck crossed about 15 yards behind the does. I was watching them trying to see him, when all of a sudden I heard him behind me. I turned and seen tines coming through the grass. I began to raise for a shot but he picked me off and got the hell out of Dodge. Across the field there were another 5 bucks, 4 being shooters for me. They headed back to the sanctuary. Tonight I got in stand at 3:30 and 10 minutes later had a small buck cruise through. Never seen another deer after that

Redhunter1012

Supporting Member
Nothing tonight. Shoulda just stayed home. The stand I went to first had the landowner and his son out there cutting wood. Went to a small woodlot where I put my first stand up when I moved here. Didn't see a darn thing except a groundhog that was filling up with winter wheat for the next couple days no doubt

Huckleberry Finn

I have had more irons in the fire than I know how to manage...sad to say it, but I'll be getting out for the first time on Saturday. I also confirmed that I'll get Opening Day off, so maybe it'll be a slugger this year.

Schu72

Streetsboro
Congrats teammates! Ryan what did you shoot? Did I miss your thread somewhere? I'll be out for youth season this weekend. I'll only be hunting if my son tags out.