Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Team 12 up and running

Buckmaster

Portage
I scored some veal-ison opening day and took my nephew Andrew out for the weekend. He had shot opportunities but elected to pass this weekend.

Looks like we have 10 points thus far for Team 12.

I'm guessing from now until rut my boy will be my main focus and center of my attention.

Time to pass it on.

Attachments

• Deer Pic.jpg
    Deer Pic.jpg
    116.8 KB · Views: 304
  • Kid Hunt.jpg
    Kid Hunt.jpg
    264.1 KB · Views: 318

xbowguy

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Licking Co. Ohio
Ben, I'm sorry....But I just GOT TO! That looks like a deer only smaller.....rotflmao

But dammit that will be choice meat! Good Job Buddy!

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I shot my bow tonight. Work work work. Catching up. Busy all weekend. More work. Upcoming weekend is packed. More work next week.

Haven't even shot my broadheads yet out of either bow. Just now sighting in my "old bow/backup bow" which I think I am going to hunt with this year. At least all my gear is washed and stands are hung. Just need to buy a tag and find some time to get in a tree. I need tree stand therapy like you wouldn't believe.

Congrats again, Ben. Must have been tough to hit such a small target. lol

nis1

So i ended up getting the picc line in Friday instead of after the first weekend so that screwed up my plans. I did go sit out in the woods though so I 'technically' didn't miss the first day. My wife, dad, and buddy all took deer on the evening of opening day and I saw 4 as well. We are hunting a park owned property and you get invited back by slaying deer so that's what everyone's attempting to do. My dad took another doe Sunday night but no one has been out since then with the heat. I think I might be functional enough to shoot the crossbow left handed so I'm hoping to go sit somewhere Friday.

In other news I got permission on an amazing looking 340 acre swampy islandy place that was mind blowing from the aerials but I went for a walk there today and it's apparent that everyone and their brother hunts it. I ran across 8 stands, a bait pile, and and 2 trail cams (managed to get my picture taken on both, SCORE). I did see 5 deer but no rubs or scrapes or even good trails but it is dry as a bone so it's hard telling right now. It was evident from the stands placements and set ups that the other hunters have no idea what they're doing. The other issue is that there's a lack of transitional cover. Much of the boggy/swampy area is too wet for deer to be bedding in and the wooded sections are big mature hardwoods with no bedding. I'm planning to go back in for a hike once the temps drop and the fair weather hunters have wrapped things up.

Last edited:

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I considered buying my tag today. No sense rushing things. Haven't bought it yet. Shot at last light. Shooting in morning. Probably ought to shoot my son's crossbow with broadheads. At this rate, that is what I'll be hunting with. My shooting has been terrible. Might go back to shooting new bow tomorrow and see if I am doing any better. I'm pathetic.