Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Team 12 up and running

xbowguy

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Licking Co. Ohio
The part that makes it all crazy for me. Where are all these bucks I had pic's of? I only get a pic like every 4 or 5 days now. Never give up, but makes you wonder WTF ??????

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
The part that makes it all crazy for me. Where are all these bucks I had pic's of? I only get a pic like every 4 or 5 days now. Never give up, but makes you wonder WTF ??????
Bucks? Shoot, where are the deer? I've seen a lot of tiny deer this year. Not just since this elusive "rut" allegedly started. The whole season. I'd gladly shoot a button buck, but not if he looks 90lb. Been a weird year for me so far.

xbowguy

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Licking Co. Ohio
I could have shot "The Huge Nanny Doe" last night. Was more interested in seeing if my calculations on smoke and wind direction was enough to fool her if I sat still.

Jack Hanna returned my email. Reads: Don't Fucking Try It. rotflmao

nis1

Finally had some quality movement again yesterday. Sat all day and saw deer from 11:30 on, including multiple nice bucks. Between a swirling wind, assholes yelling at the gun range on the neighboring property, And the landowner taking a spin on his four wheeler at the exact wrong time, it didn't quite come together but there was a lot of chasing and grunting going on. I really need to make a stand adjustment as the deer aren't quite filtering through this area the same way they have in years past but I don't really want to make the commotion. In the stand for the day again, saw a 120ish buck first thing. Didn't come as close as I would've like to get a better look at him. My standards are dropping quickly...

Buckmaster

Portage
I spent 8 days on my "rut hunt" in Jefferson Co. and came back empty handed. I did 15 hunts and only got skunked twice so I consider myself fortunate.

I'd estimate the herd is down by 50% after what my cameras and boots on the ground tell me.

I think all the mature deer fell victim to EHD because in 15 hunts and a 7 week camera soak there haven't been any mature bucks or does spotted.

I found 3 dead deer during October and the club across the road found 40+.

Most of my corn piles have remained untouched for the past 10 days,,,,,totally weird.

The highlight of my week was my nephew got his first buck, an 8 point and we have a young crop of deer coming up after "the purge" < 2.5 years old. Those spikes will have an opportunity to breed this year.

Anyways, I fixed my deer problem last night as I bought a PA license, deer, and bear tag.

This weekend I'll be toting my 45/70 through the PA woods in search of a bear.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Did a road scouting trip last night since I couldn't hunt. Finally saw a couple bucks. Both I believe I have seen before. More importantly, I know where they both are . . . For now.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Hopefully the rain moves on, temperatures stay up, and I don't have to do any salting throughout the night. Garrett and I looked at maps, did a road scouting trip, and talked about the game plan for tomorrow. Not sure what to expect. Major flooding taking place and it is going to change the movement of the deer and possibly normal bedding areas. I'm hoping I can get him onto one of the young bucks I have seen in the area we plan to hunt in the morning. There is a good one hanging 1/8th to 1/4 mile south of this woods. I see him pretty regularly in the evenings out in the middle of a field. Haven't caught him on trail camera where I have permission to hunt with Garrett. Doesn't mean he isn't using it. Just not visually seen there or caught on camera. I'd love to put my tag on him but Garrett will have the green light if the opportunity is there. To be truthful, I'd rather him not kill a big stud on his first buck. Sets the bar pretty high, gives some unrealistic expectations, and I'm not sure he would get the appreciation for what he had accomplished. Not sure if that makes sense. Maybe I am wrong. I just don't know if it would be good for building his drive to kill big bucks. He hates to sit real long, get up early, and usually doesn't have a whole lot of desire to hunt. He IS showing desire to hunt this weekend so I am feeling good about things and hope he gets to taste some success. I don't know. Maybe a big wall hanger is exactly what he needs. lmao

Outdoorsfellar

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Checked this cam today after letting it sit for a spell. I spent the entire day watching this particular scrape ... the day before she shows up. I bet he was a stinky one.

MFDC0036.jpg

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I'm out. 83pts provided. I can't score anymore unless I kill a bigger buck out of state. That is NOT going to happen. Ha

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
They are showing us with 88pts. If you guys have anything to post, feel free to post them up. Good luck to you guys as we close the season.

huntn2

Hudson, OH
Phil tried to double dip youth and trail cam bonus. It’s an “or” bonus not “and” bonus. Can only pick up 1 of them for a max of 5 points. [emoji41]

MK111

"Happy Hunting Grounds in the Sky"
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Team 2
I got a buck and doe to post for points. But have to figure out the picture posting.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Phil tried to double dip youth and trail cam bonus. It’s an “or” bonus not “and” bonus. Can only pick up 1 of them for a max of 5 points. [emoji41]
Oops. My bad. Sorry Ryan. This was my every report card. "Does not follow directions." Lmao