Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Team 11

lung buster

hocking county
Andrew just can't catch a break. We had 2 different birds as close as 10 yds ea and he never got to fire. I've never really had the desire to hunt them in the pm but tonight was nice and we had nothing going on so we went up to where they were roosting last week. We called every once in awhile and one gobbled on our right down in the hollow. After about 5 min we could here him walking and he popped up on the ridge at 10 yds and spooked. He never putted so I started cutting and another showed up coming right out the ridge. He came right to the decoy I said I was done using and started putting and we watched them both run out the ridge offering no shot.

Andrew has had 4 opportunities and for some reason he can't make em dead.....

lung buster

hocking county
I finally moved a blind on the ridge where Andrew has had all his action. We got in there before daylight and as light came I swear every turkey in the county was roosted around us. I've chased turks for 25 yrs and I've never heard that many gobblers in one area. We haven't heard much gobbling all week but there were so many I couldn't count them, 6-8 different birds???

We had one coming in below us only to have someone other than us destroy his hunt. I wanted to scream and had a very hard time contoling my anger and frustration! It appears that it was just not meant to be this year.......

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Sorry to hear that! Maybe this evening or tomorrow will be Andrew's lucky day. He's sure earned it!

I forgot to post in this thread that Mason killed a jake Tuesday.

lung buster

hocking county
No hunting this evening as somebody is at work..... gonna be in there in the morning but I bet we don't hear a gobble. That's how it has been for the last 2 weeks. Hunted yesterday and I would of swore that there were no turks within 5 miles if I didn't know better! Hopefully he gets one more chance but it was supposed to be his sisters turn and he is hoping she wants to sleep in, lol...

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Take them both! Good chance if one of them gets a shot there will be more than one bird coming in. Call as soon as they shoot, the others are likely to stick around long enough to kill another! The last bird I shot had two others with him. I kept them 10-50yds for 2 hours after I shot their buddy!

Good luck, and I certainly hope things go well for you and the kids in the morning!

lung buster

hocking county
Thanks for the luck tomorrow everybody. I would love to take both but it is hard enough dragging one up there. They are still a little too young and each one needs my full attention. I'm looking forward to the day that both can go at one time!

We have hunted so many days that I've lost count. Getting up before school for a 2 hr hunt many times. Both kids have "put in their time" I feel but neither have been able to pull the trigger. Maybe tomorrow will be the day!

lung buster

hocking county
Wow, what a season! Andrew had tried so hard and put in so much time and his persistence and patience finally paid off today and he killed his 2nd bird.

We didn't get up there until 5:30 and it was breaking daylight. As soon as we got to the blind one gobbled just about above us! I quietly put down a hen and a strutting Jake with a real fan, ( my wife had just bought the Jake in the clearance aisle for $7.00 the other day). I only put them about 5 yds off to our right.

Andrew had already snuck in the blind and I had to take my vest off to sneak in. I grabbed a slate call and left everything outside of the blind. He was hammering and I couldn't close the door on the blind in fear of him hearing/ seeing me.

There was another one gobbling a little further down. Finally the one above us flew down and I clucked a few times. We could hear him spitting and drumming and here he came. He seen the Jake deke and headed straight for him and proceeded to destroy it, for the next 45 min at <5 yds!

Andrew couldn't get a shot because his gun was out the front window! About 30 min in to the "fight" 2 more mature birds came running and joined in, I kept saying SHOOT!!! The 3 long beards then began fighting each other, it was crazy!!! Then they walked off. I thought it was over but we kept hearing them spitting/ drumming.

Finally I could hear them behind us forever and I turned around, back window was closed. I pulled it down and they were all strutting! I somehow got the window down and got Andrew turned. After what seemed like forever the closest one gave Andrew a shot and he plastered him with Hevi-Shot. He folded and never moved!

My range finder was in my vest and I reached out and got it, 41 yds. He made a heck of a shot for a 20 ga!

His bird had a 10.5" beard and over 1.25" spurs! Im so proud of Andrew, he earned his bird!!!

Last edited:

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Congratulations to you and Andrew! That is one heck of a good way to wrap up a difficult season!