Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Team 10

steveOh

Dayton Area
Thanks guys...

First time I hunted out of a blind all year. I got settled before 7:00 and it felt good to be able to move around and not be worried about sitting still all the time. Now the view is only about 20 yards wide and about 30 yards to the honeysuckle and saplings to the front. The strip is shaped like a 'J' and the blind is near the bend at the bottom of the long part of the "J".

At 9:10 I saw the front ankles of a deer through the overgrown honeysuckle branch that was shielding the blind on my right. Then I saw a nose, then and another set of legs of a smaller deer. They were only about 12 yards or so from the blind. I thought "here's my chance for a doe" and I slowly began to raise my old Horton Hunter crossbow up, anticipating a shot.

The doe took a few steps and came into full view, she looked at the blind for second and then put her head down. Not falling for the old "put the head down and look back up quick trick", I remained still. She gave it the second look and then took a few more steps and stopped broadside.

As I slowly raised the crossbow to my shoulder I eased the safety off but it made a metallic "click". At the sound she scampered a few steps and stopped just at my sight limit out of the left side of the window. By that time I was on her and sent a 2219 XX75 aluminum with a 125 gr. Spitfire her way. It hit true and she took off in a flash to my left, out of sight, and into a waist high weed field.

When I eventually went to where she was standing when I shot I found blood splatter everywhere. It took me about a half hour of slow tracking in the tall grass/weeds until I found her, I just about stepped on her before I seen her. One for the freezer.

It took less than 10 seconds from the time when I first saw her to the shot!
IMG_1124-640.jpg

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
67 points added this morning for team 10 lol.... Shot a 2.5 year old 8 point.... I'll post up the blow by blow of it later this evening..... ImageUploadedByTapatalk1415044617.989080.jpg

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
Now too try too fill the antler less tag before it expires lol....
Good luck too y'all heading out.....

ohio
I have a video on my phone to show you guys but cant load it. Bear in mind brad jermans buck. Was on this same property and was shot maybe 100yds from my stand id say he is a tall and heavy 10 prolly the 170s he got either shot or hit last year and his back end is weird looking hence the name. Hunchback

Gern186

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NW Ohio Tundra
Hey guys, sorry I have not chimed in lately...I posted up both of my kids kills for the youth bonus points, I am trying to determine if my Indiana buck or Ohio buck will get us more points...then I will try and get it posted up...they are both worth a lot of points Im guessing.