Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Team 1

JD Boyd

*Supporting Member*
Urbana
I'll be going out with my buddy and his 8 year old daughter in the morning. If it's raining we'll get in the blind but we're not afraid to get wet if we have to get after em. Good luck fellas...

1hornwilly

*Supporting Member III*
I'll be out Monday morning to get mine. Already got a bonus bird for us for taking a first timer last week. I'll post the story and pics on here soon. Go get 'em fellas...shoot a bird in the head. Oh, and good luck in the morning, JD.

Mao

Coshocton, OH
Sounds good fellas... I took a neighbor kid out today and he shot a big jake that came in with 3 others.. He brought up the rear of the group and strutted all the way in... I was peeking over his shoulder and didnt realize he was a jake... He was really happy all the same and so was I... I am planning on heading out Monday morning before work with my dad... I am trying to bring one in for him... I will be after one myself in a few days...

JD Boyd

*Supporting Member*
Urbana
No luck over the weekend with my buddies girl. I'll be heading out first thing in the morning so good luck fellows...

Mao

Coshocton, OH
Hey guys... No dice on my end... But interesting.. Dad and I snuck a litttle closer than I thought to a bird HAMMERING for 10 minutes straight.. I purred, clucked, and yelped lightly only a couple times and he double gobbled each, so I shut up.... He flew down and headed off in the wrong direction with his hens... We snuck to the knoll where he disappeared to and we tried to call him back... He gobbled hard each tiime but to no avail... We spotted him on the opposite hillside around 400 yds aways... The only thing I could think to do, because we got to the property line was to crawl out to the edge of the hillside we were on and stand up my pretty boy that I have a real jake tail in... Shortly after, the hens spotted my deke and came running toward him from the 400 yards away.. The gobbler did his best sheep dog and hearded them all back in.. I thought for a minute the hens were gonna bring him to us... We had to watch him vanish with the hens across to the next property and hustle to make it to school on time. He is a principal, and I am a teacher... At a different school...I went out and put em to bed tonight and I am sure that same gobbler is in the same tree as this morning.. Based on the terrain and what he did today, Dad and I are separating and I am going where he went today.. Dad is going the opposite way incase the hens take him in the other direction... Their only out is straight down the hill.... I am pretty sure I can guess what is going to happen... Down the hill they will go!!

Last edited:

JD Boyd

*Supporting Member*
Urbana
Computers been down again. I have'nt got to fire my gun yet. My two buddies that have been hunting with me are 0-2. One shot monday morning at about 42 yards and missed. My other buddy shot at 15 yards with his bow today and flat out missed. Tomorrow is my turn...

JD Boyd

*Supporting Member*
Urbana
Well I called in two birds today. First one was one I've been wanting to kill. He came in behind three jakes and 4 hens. He never got any closer than 75 yards though. They eventually just picked back the way they came from. Second one I called in was at 10:30. His hen he was with left him and he came to about 60 yards and stood there strutting and gobbling for ten minutes. Forgot to bring the decoy. If I had it with me he would of been dead turkey....

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
Well I called in two birds today. First one was one I've been wanting to kill. He came in behind three jakes and 4 hens. He never got any closer than 75 yards though. They eventually just picked back the way they came from. Second one I called in was at 10:30. His hen he was with left him and he came to about 60 yards and stood there strutting and gobbling for ten minutes. Forgot to bring the decoy. If I had it with me he would of been dead turkey....

Dang JD that sucks. My birds have just up and vanished since last Saturday. Listened to them on the roost Friday night. Nobody messed with them during youth. But Saturday, Sunday, until today they have been ghosts and lockjawed. The weather isn't helping either. I haven;t been doing much calling. Feeding purrs with clucks mostly. Maybe a yelp every hour. Not a Gobble. Don;t want to get to aggressive if they're locked up with hens.

JD Boyd

*Supporting Member*
Urbana
I'll be back at it in the morning. Had to work today. All this rain coming in means I have some time to hunt.

Mao

Coshocton, OH
2011-04-22_10-18-57_482.jpg
My view from the blind at the moment....Didn't go out Tuesday..I was sick.

JD Boyd

*Supporting Member*
Urbana
Saw a few birds, 6 of them toms. Had one of the toms 7 yards from me but he was just a two year old. The others just would'nt cooperate with us. I'll be back at it next week...