Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

target practice question?

at1010

*Supporting Member*
Ok all, I have my bow shooting better than I have ever shot. Probably helps I have a range out back and can shoot everyday.

Here is my question:

1. How much of a difference do you see at 40+ yards with your shot placement when shooting from elevation?

Example I shoot on flat ground and at 40 yards I seem dead nuts (arrows touching in the bull, not every time haha). Then I shoot off the porch at the deer target and it seems that I am just a touch high at 40 and on? Maybe its my form, not bending at hips?

CJD3

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NE Ohio
Most all down hill shots require you to hold low.
You'll get a feel for it. Keep at it!

at1010

*Supporting Member*
Only a couple inches

So do you then change your site to shoot where you hold or do you just adjust and know how your bow shoots?

By the end of the night I was pinning it in the deer targets vitals at 40 yards, not amazing groups but all in vitals. I am assuming you don't see that much of a change at short distance because the arrow is moving too quickly to be effected?

thanks for help guys!

Milo

Tatonka guide.
Gravity only has an effect on objects over time.. So the shorter distance has less gravity effect on the arrow. Gravity also only effects the arrow perpendicular to the arrows path. This is why angle compensation range finders are now out because we are out hunting pokemons and not studying geometry.

at1010

*Supporting Member*
haha well I understand the science behind it....

However, do you adjust your site to compensate for shooting out of a stand, or do you just know how your bow shoots, and adjust.

(in past I have always just held lower at longer distances out of a stand as I know I tend to shoot just a touch high).

PS. I don't play pokemon Milo.......dick hahahahaha

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
I don't adjust my sight. I'm more inclined to think you have a slight form issue than a tuning or sighting in issues. Even a slight drop in your bow hand can cause that. Focus on bending at the waist and see if that helps.

at1010

*Supporting Member*
I don't adjust my sight. I'm more inclined to think you have a slight form issue than a tuning or sighting in issues. Even a slight drop in your bow hand can cause that. Focus on bending at the waist and see if that helps.

Yea I will shoot more this afternoon and see what I come up with.

I don't think it's form because I am very consistent. Although it's possible. I am far from a great archer.

I just was curious what makes the most sense to do as I was just holding a touch lower and it was a great last group of the night.

Thanks for all the tips guys! I need another range session with MILO!

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
Doesn't take much of a change. Even the position of your shoulder (high in the joint or lower) can show issues at that range. It's more likely operator error than gravity.

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
I like to set my pins to be low in the kill anyway so's it compensates for several factors such as, 1)shooting from an elevated location,2) in case the deer drops at the shot,3) and its better to hit lower than higher because typically you find blood sooner in the tracking process and as silly as it may sound, it's better miss low than it is high because lower usually means deer is not hit or injured. Just my opinion.

Great job on getting more practice and tightening up your groups Al!

at1010

*Supporting Member*
I like to set my pins to be low in the kill anyway so's it compensates for several factors such as, 1)shooting from an elevated location,2) in case the deer drops at the shot,3) and its better to hit lower than higher because typically you find blood sooner in the tracking process and as silly as it may sound, it's better miss low than it is high because lower usually means deer is not hit or injured. Just my opinion.

Great job on getting more practice and tightening up your groups Al!

Thanks bud. Yea I typically like to be a touch low as well vs high. I shot a bit at lunch today and I was grouping everything 40 and out just a touch. High still. Gunna shoot a bit more before I decide to make a change on form or site.

I figure if I shoot consistently I mine as well change the site then try to change my form this year.

Best tip I ever got was a grip tip from Milo and boy does that make a big difference.

rsmith

Make sure you also are not moving your anchor point when shooting from elevation. When I shoot at 70+ I find that I change my anchor a smidge high resulting in me shooting low. Make sure you keep everything inline. Also depends on the angle of the shot. Maybe use a rangefinder with the arch built in to get a accurate measurment of distance.

at1010

*Supporting Member*
Thanks for all advice guys! Shot today I barley adjusted my 40 yard pin after two groups high again but grouped. I knocked fletchings off arrows next group. I don't think I'm gunna change anything else hahaa