Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Taking my 6yr old hunting

Joel

Centerburg, Ohio
Pretty sure I was killing tree rats at that age also, I was like a damn sniper with my pellet gun!

Same here. Rabbits were terrified of me and my Crossman pellet gun.

As a very active member of a conservation club I think gun safety is a very important thing for kids. Curiosity of guns because of parents shielding their kids from them is dangerous. I grew up with guns in the house (dad was a police officer) and began shooting when I was 6 or 7. I never handled one unsafely and he trusted me completely.

We have kids handling guns as young as 5 and 6 years old with supervision, and have since the 40's. Thousands of kids have learned to shoot at our club.

As far as killing an animal I think that's up to the parent to decide based on the individual child and their attitude and maturity. My daughter is 7 and has shot 22 rifles and bb guns. If she tells me she is ready to go hunting I am not going to hesitate to take her. No way I would keep her from that experience. To me it's as important as learning to ride a bike or having a puppy when you're a kid. Hunting is a very important part of our heritage and the only way to ensure that it continues is to pass it on- TOO children.

Really surprised to see such a comment like this on here honestly. Wow.

rsmith

Same here. Rabbits were terrified of me and my Crossman pellet gun.

As a very active member of a conservation club I think gun safety is a very important thing for kids. Curiosity of guns because of parents shielding their kids from them is dangerous. I grew up with guns in the house (dad was a police officer) and began shooting when I was 6 or 7. I never handled one unsafely and he trusted me completely.

We have kids handling guns as young as 5 and 6 years old with supervision, and have since the 40's. Thousands of kids have learned to shoot at our club.

As far as killing an animal I think that's up to the parent to decide based on the individual child and their attitude and maturity. My daughter is 7 and has shot 22 rifles and bb guns. If she tells me she is ready to go hunting I am not going to hesitate to take her. No way I would keep her from that experience. To me it's as important as learning to ride a bike or having a puppy when you're a kid. Hunting is a very important part of our heritage and the only way to ensure that it continues is to pass it on- TOO children.

Really surprised to see such a comment like this on here honestly. Wow.

I agree with everything you said Joel, if you keep kids from them they will just be more drawn to them. I think education at a young age of how to operate a firearm and gun safety is essential! And with kids hunting, when I have a kid I will make sure not to keep them such a amazing experience as harvesting a animal. The feeling you get is indescribable and would be a shame to keep them from that.

rsmith

Good points BH - do you really think a 6 year old kid understands what hunting is AKA killing an animal? Im guessing that most kids that age are wanting to go out with their parents because they want to spend time with them not kill stuff. Most kids I'm guessing in the lower 48 certainly don't hunt to feed their families so it not a put food on the table type thought process. I'm thinking kids in their teenage years might be better suited to understand the picture of hunting and the ramifications of killing animals. I can see businesses pushing youth's to hunt, because it a money making tool, but to be honest I think its a big dis-service to the child. JMTC

I have to repectfully disagree with this, I think if a younger kid, 9 and below, harvested such a animal as a deer. It will make them have great self confidence and also be able to show thanks to harvesting such an animal and it wasn't just for the fun of killing it but to eat and enjoy the wonderful taste of venison and along with learning the circle of life. Also to see your child's face glow with happiness and know that they executed a perfect shot and was able to do a very good job at something. Getting the youth out early is very beneficial so that they can learn while they are still a "sponge" for knowledge. This is just what I think, but I would make sure that they know where to aim and how to operate a cross bow.

Huckleberry Finn

Just saw this on Facebook tonight.. I figured if its ok to have your infant children running around shooting guns, I'm guessing many commenters here are down with their kids smashing some other kids face in. Grab some beers and pony up some cash on some betting pools... LOL

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/...-after-win-should-child-mma-fights-be-allowed

Look at any state champion wrestling program in the state of Ohio and they have a biddy team that starts in kindergarten, I guarantee it.

Since when is 6 years old an infant?

If a kid is "too young" at 6, then when is the right age? Hell I'd trust some of the kids on this site before I'd trust many, many adults.

Diane

*Supporting Member*
Newark
Just saw this on Facebook tonight.. I figured if its ok to have your infant children running around shooting guns, I'm guessing many commenters here are down with their kids smashing some other kids face in. Grab some beers and pony up some cash on some betting pools... LOL

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/...-after-win-should-child-mma-fights-be-allowed

What exactly does hunting and this have in common? I'm failing to see the connection.

Do you deliberately go out of your way to be an ass, or does it just come natural?

Diablo54

Outside
I agree with Brock. Hunting is a way of life around here. One of my cousins was killing deer at 6 and it was as much to help put food on the table as anything. If you think there are people who don't need the meat, you are way off track. Kids are smarter than we give them credit for. I trust that my daughter will be smarter enough to understand the finality of death in a few more years. I think it is more a disservice to keep kids out of the woods at an early age than it is to indoctrinate them while the are young.

Winner winner winner!

cotty16

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Nothing wrong with a mom, dad, grandma, grandpa, uncle... Whatever... Taking a young apprentice out to hunt when the said adult is teaching the young hunter proper ethics and technique.
My dad did it for me. We are both doing it for my boys. I learned the right way. They're learning the right way.

As someone posted earlier, it's better we teach them than some dang video game or YouTube. Those of us taking kids out hunting at an early age will have kids who are more responsible with firearms and more respectful of wildlife than those who learn the wrong way from someone else.

matthewusmc8791

NE Ohio
What exactly does hunting and this have in common? I'm failing to see the connection.

Do you deliberately go out of your way to be an ass, or does it just come natural?

Name calling, that's real mature. lol.

Since you don't see the correlation, I'm guessing it will be too difficult for you to understand, so I won't bother.

As I've mentioned before, I don't see a problem taking your kids out hunting.

The problem I see is at what age. 5 or 6 years old is too damn young regardless of mentoring and teaching.

Kids at that young age don't fully grasp EVERYTHING ADULTS tell them, that's why they are kids.

I too agree, there are a lot of adults I don't like seeing with guns or feel they understand it either. They shouldn't be owning one either.

As to wrestling, if you don't see the difference between wrestling and MMA FIGHTING, maybe you should think about that for a minute.
MMA and children is ridiculous, the parents need a swift kick in the dick for allowing it.
Teaching your child to purposely hurt another kid and then have adults cheer that on... crazy shit.
Why not have the adults in your neighbor gather up some of their children and go in the garage and have a fight and see who's tougher. Plan crazy.

What happened to education, learning skills?? fixing tractors, cars, painting, drywall, plumbing, etc. the list is long.
Spending time with your kids that doesn't involve violence or killing animals.
How bout camping, hiking, etc.

Lets try this, ask your 5 or 6 year old to write a 2 page paper on why he likes hunting. See what they say. You might be amazed by what they say.

My comments weren't meant to upset anyone, but I truly don't believe 5 year old kids hunting and shooting guns is a good idea or best practice scenario.
I'm guessing, ages above 11-12 would be the best applicable age.

As with life, everyone has their own view/opinion on issues close to home, which is why America is so great. Good luck to all.

JMTC

Joel

Centerburg, Ohio
I agree children and mma style fighting is nuts but it is not anywhere near comparable with kids hunting and participating in shooting sports. Saying that someone that is ok with taking a 6 year old hunting would probably be ok with kids fighting eachother for sport is also nuts. Me and millions of other Americans will continue to teach our kids how to hunt and shoot guns at whatever age we see fit as we have done since this country was founded.

matthewusmc8791

NE Ohio
If I had been name calling, you'd have known it. Trust me on that!

Ok Internet tough guy.....:smiley_baby:

But seriously, all kidding aside, I've mentioned on a number of occasions, everyone has their own opinion on what's a good age to give a child a gun.

As with life, everyone has their own view/opinion on issues close to home, which is why America is so great. Good luck to all.

JMTC

Milo

Tatonka guide.
Is your opinion based on real life experiences or just some random thought? Do you have children? There is a 9 year old girl that just killed her first buck thread in here you may have missed.

Mao

Coshocton, OH
FYI- I asked my daughter why she wanted to kill a buck. Her response, "I want to eat it daddy". The crossbow my daughter is shooting also has a double safety. She can not fire it unless I am engaging the second safety. A little different than my "infant running around shooting guns".

matthewusmc8791

NE Ohio
Is your opinion based on real life experiences or just some random thought? Do you have children? There is a 9 year old girl that just killed her first buck thread in here you may have missed.

Hello Milo, thank you for asking.

My real life experience is growing up in a family who is very much involved in the outdoors doing such things as camping, hiking, hunting, fishing, etc.

The main topic the OP brings up is children handling guns and hunting. If my memory serves me correctly, I don't recall handling any firearms till I was 13.
Even though my parents were active in shooting sports, hunting and gun ownership.

After turning 13, I went hunting with my father. I sat next to him holding the binos, or stapling up new targets, etc
I think it was 16 when I received my Mossberg 500 shotgun for small game and a slug barrel for deer.
I still have it.

The question was posed if have children. the answer is yes.
I have 2 boys that are 11 and 12 and 2 girls that are 8 and 7 with TWO more (TWINS) on the way.

My boys have always showed interest in outdoor activities, such as camping, hiking and even hunting or shooting.
I provide the same guidance and interaction with my kids as my parents did. Involvement but no actual shooting. being around the functions.

My daughters have begun to show interest and we plan on introducing them into the fold once they get a couple years older.

I look forward to the time when all of my kids and I can go hunting on our families 300acre farm or go fishing in Yellowstone again or hiking the American Discovery Trail..

My wife who is a medical doctor and a university professor who continues to help educate our children the old fashion way; with family values, family nights together, family vacations and talks around the dinner table. She's also a great source of education and knowledge, which helps grow our children socially and emotionally.

In closing, I hope this sheds more light into what one inspirational viewer called, "shit in such a great thread."

God Bless.

Milo

Tatonka guide.
Thanks for the response. It always a good thing to understand the perspective in which a person forms their opinions from. Unfortunately the lumping effect if broad based judgements don't always fIt. Not every 12 year old is in the same spot emotionally. For instance I have an 8 year old that I would trust before most 12 year olds I know currently. It's all relative and generally the best judge of the decision is the parents. For instance, I don't need Michele Obama telling my kids what is good for them to eat in school. That's my job. I think most children ,when properly raised like yours and mine, will surprise you in the decisions they will make and how much they can handle emotionally.

Milo

Tatonka guide.
Speaking of emotions, this can also be a positive experience emotionally for a child and parent. I
Still remember passing my hunter safety course at 8 years old and taking my first rabbit and few months later. That was a great experience for me and was vitally important in form the emotional bond I have with my dad and brother today. It made me feel like one of the gang, and started my family core principles in which we all rally around in times of darkness. For us, killing a rabbit wasn't an act of pulling a trigger, it was gathering our dinner.

Last edited: