Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Taking my 6yr old hunting

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
View attachment 24555

After doing a lot of practice shooting and 3D target shooting, last night was the first time I took her out. We talked a lot about most likely not getting a shot and just enjoying going hunting. We hunted a homemade tree stand that is more like a tree house. She really liked the idea of that. She played a lil Minecraft on my phone but often gave it back to me while she watched for deer. She did a great job of whispering only and the tree house kept her hid well. We did not see a deer, but all in all it was a great time and she wants to go again soon.

That's what it's all about Marcus! Great memories buddy!

rsmith

I don't understand how all of a sudden a 6 year old hunting with a crossbow got turned into a 6 year old with a gun?? matthewusmc8791, I can understand your argument but to people that promote hunting to youth like a large majority of people on this sight, it is better to start earlier so they can absorb the material at a younger age so things come more natural later on. Your saying that a kid shouldn't go hunting at 6, yes you're right, by them-self. They should be with an adult and should know how to properly operate their weapon which should be a crossbow. I believe that there is no problem with a 6 year old getting out with their dad, mom, grandma, grandpa, or whoever and harvesting a deer because they can make sure they are making a good shot. Each to their own but I stand behind the rest on this one with getting their youth out their and encouraging hunting at a young age. And to the OP, best of luck to you and your 6 year old and I hope you guys have a successful season!

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
I don't understand how all of a sudden a 6 year old hunting with a crossbow got turned into a 6 year old with a gun?? matthewusmc8791, I can understand your argument but to people that promote hunting to youth like a large majority of people on this sight, it is better to start earlier so they can absorb the material at a younger age so things come more natural later on. Ykour saying that a kid shouldn't go hunting at 6, yes you're right, by them-self. They should be with an adult and should know how to properly operate their weapon which should be a crossbow. I believe that there is no problem with a 6 year old getting out with their dad, mom, grandma, grandpa, or whoever and harvesting a deer because they can make sure they are making a good shot. Each to their own but I stand behind the rest on this one with getting their youth out their and encouraging hunting at a young age. And to the OP, best of luck to you and your 6 year old and I hope you guys have a successful season!

That's what I was thinking as well and lets not forget, they're running around the woods unattended TOO!

Thanks for sharing your opinion Matthew, it sounds like you both have a great family and will be great teachers for your children when they're ready to go hunting someday and great two posts from Milo as well. I agree with the camp that believes every child is different and its up to the parent to identify whether or not his/her child is ready for shooting any weapon and then deal with their emotions after taking a life from any critter.

I've met Marcus(OP) a few times and feel very confident in his abilities as a teacher in the outdoors as well as the classroom.

Last edited:

Kaiser878

ohio
I smell a liberal troll...... or do you prefer "progressive?"

No hunter with a hunting heritage...... and I mean no hunter....... discourages teaching a child how to shoot a gun at an early age..... that's about as ignorant as removing religion from our schools because children might be to young to understand a higher being