Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

tag out/ donate?

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
First deer I kill this year will be all burger (except the loins). I will try to kill 2 for my family. I donated one to FHFH from Hocking County last year. I saw so many deer on those properties it was unbelievable. I think you could kill one each day and never run out. It seemed to be an exception to what some of you guys talk about SE Ohio. I put the next two in my freezer. The last deer I killed last year went to my foreman's family. He didn't get one and has 3 girls at home that love wild game. He and his family were very appreciative.

I have 3 properties with a ton of does. One property I do not intend on shooting any does unless things change when I get in the stand. On camera I am not seeing a ton of does on this property but during turkey season I saw 8-9 pile out at once. I don't know. I guess I am fortunate to have 3 properties I would kill does on considering I live in a low deer density county.

LonewolfNopack

The woods
You should know by now, this isn't that kind of site. You are entitled to your opinion even if it doesn't jive with everyone else. What you need to remember is that not all of the state is a desolate, deerless area like you hunt. In addition to that, deer and the meat they provide, are often more welcome than money. I see where you are coming from and I'm not saying you are completely wrong. But there are areas that can sustain the hunter and the hungry.

I'm not trying to cause trouble or make it "that kind of site". All I did was state my own opinion, which is what you just told me I'm entitled too. I never slammed anyone. I was taught growing up if you cant use it, do not shoot it, and its the mentality of people trying to find any justifiable reason to shoot a deer that has helped to get our states deer herd in the situation that it is now in.

All that said, whatever people do with their deer is their business as long as its legal. I just responded with what I do (or do not do ). If that is a problem on this site as it is on others, I will refrain from typing something other than the status quo in the future.

Last edited:

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
Dude, chill. With that attitude, you will get your ass jumped. Nothing wrong with what you said and we are just moving the conversation along. Relax and answer the questions posed, and this will remain a civil conversation. No need to get all defensive just yet...

at1010

*Supporting Member*
I'm not trying to cause trouble or make it "that kind of site". All I did was state my own opinion, which is what you just told me I'm entitled too. I never slammed anyone. I was taught growing up if you cant use it, do not shoot it, and its the mentality of people trying to find any justifiable reason to shoot a deer that has helped to get our states deer herd in the situation that it is now in.

All that said, whatever people do with their deer is their business as long as its legal. I just responded with what I do (or do not do ). If that is a problem on this site as it is on others, I will refrain from typing something other than the status quo in the future.

I agree dont shoot what you wont eat, but if someone else is eating it isnt it the same. Some people who might be a mother with kids no father who is living in Appalachian Ohio and doesnt have the money to spend on quality food?

I am not a blood thirsty hunter trust me I have probably passed on more does then most guys, I just thought this year with having an opportunity, I would help people out.

But now that you say it that way "justifying killing" you think the government will give me a tax right off for donating the deer?

Fluteman

Supporting Member
Southeast Ohio
The first deer I shoot this fall will be given to my elderly neighbors who have asked me to shoot them a deer. They allow me to hunt their land, so I feel it is my duty to do so.

I would like to put three deer in the freezer, with one being all ground. With four mouths to feed this year as opposed to two, I feel it will help reduce the financial burden of buying beef.

Huckleberry Finn

I shot two last year, though one was small, and we're nearly finished with it. I'd love to shoot 2 this year and that will be just about right. 1 for the family and 1 to take with me when I'm buying my own groceries.

IF I were to drop 2 early, I'd buy another tag and hunt for someone I knew.

ohio
After reading the small amounts of deer that ya'll use, I'm too embarrassed to say what we put up every year, but it is LOTS! However, we do give a bunch if it to our many, many kids. The problem with donating it to charity is that a lot of people let it go to waste. I can't count the people that refuse to eat deer meat and haven't even tried it.
I had a friend that was whining about being broke and not having food in the freezer, etc. I offered her deer meat and she refused. I said go hungry then and whine to someone else.
The way I see it, I'm feeding my kids and their families, they are saving on their grocery bills and the meat is not going to waste.
And no, we don't tag out every year. We have 3 hunters in the immediate family and though I would love to tag out, 18 deer is too many, even for us.

:thumbup:

Gordo

Athens County
None of my 3 last year even made it to the freezer.

I'll b tagging out this year since i have more land owners to take care of, and to have some meat to keep in the freezer for a bit for ourselves.

There's plenty of population control that needs to happen on a couple properties so im lookin forward to it.

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Just for the record, I don't ever recall any buck Ron or I have ever taken over the years to have been tough or gamey(wild) tasting. There are exceptions of a few that might have spoiled due to finding the next day but for the most part, if it was fresh and healthy when it was living it should be the same dead. Lol

When butchering your deer there might be a few places you need to cut out like battle wounds,projectile wounds,tumors and clots or whatnot but you still have a lot of great tasting meat on those bigger mature bucks. As for the tenderness aspect, hanging them longer is crucial like 5-7 days but weather doesn't always cooperate. Last year I quartered my deer and put it all in our spare refrigerator for 6 days. That meat was so tender and tasty you'd have thought it was a young doe.

Oh, I hope to fill my two tags this year cuz I love venison! As far as donating, I always offer it to friends and family if they might be in need but I usually don't have enough to donate a whole deer to a shelter or something.

Last edited:

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I am chuckling. I think Lonewolfnopack mis-read what you wrote Jesse. I took it as "Think or say whatever you want. We allow that around here." lol

Sounds like we have a bunch of donating folks around here. You guys are great people for taking care of your friends, neighbors, relatives, and property owners. I try to do what I can. You guys are great examples!

Beentown

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Sunbury, OH
I won't do the donation programs. If I can't use it or know someone who needs it then I won't shoot it. I need to know that person and that the meat won't go to waste.

I freeze trim cuts in big vacuum bags and make jerky, sausage and burger through out the year. If someone needs/wants it then I am glad to even make it into sausage if needed.

I believe these projects can be a really good thing. I also believe that it is only needed in VERY select areas of over population (read urban). Getting permission in urban areas is difficult (landowners) or impossible (non hunting towns and city ordinance) which makes the program less viable in my mind.

Basically, with the populations in the tank I see no need for blind donations just to shoot another deer and that is how most hunters see it. "I can hunt more but have the hassle of dealing with the meat..." is the mentality I have heard from Joe Hunter.

Carpn

*Supporting Member*
Wooster
You ought to try canning some. Canned deer meat is awesome and tender I. It doesn't take up freezer space and can be used to make quick meals since its already cooked and just needs heated up.

The first deer I shoot this fall will be given to my elderly neighbors who have asked me to shoot them a deer. They allow me to hunt their land, so I feel it is my duty to do so.

I would like to put three deer in the freezer, with one being all ground. With four mouths to feed this year as opposed to two, I feel it will help reduce the financial burden of buying beef.

Carpn

*Supporting Member*
Wooster
II will shoot 5 or 6 this yr, just like most yrs. We will eat em all. I do usually process One and give some to a elderly couple who lets me hunt. I process all my own deer.