Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Sweet Pics Of A Buck's Aging Progression

Strother23

Columbus, OH
Very cool read. 12.5yrs is an old deer. I wonder if deer ever make it to be that old by themselves without our help.? Like but tracts of public land or just being a nocturnal.

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Pretty cool. I just wish they'd say exactly how they knew it was the same buck. I mean, I see the obvious resemblance through its adult years... But what told them it was the same deer going from a fawn to a yearling? A spike to a basket rack... How'd they make that connection?

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Pretty cool. I just wish they'd say exactly how they knew it was the same buck. I mean, I see the obvious resemblance through its adult years... But what told them it was the same deer going from a fawn to a yearling? A spike to a basket rack... How'd they make that connection?

Making an assumption here: Article and pictures were from Charles Alsheimer. I would imagine these pics are from his enclosure.

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Making an assumption here: Article and pictures were from Charles Alsheimer. I would imagine these pics are from his enclosure.
Yea perhap. Maybe the enclosure only had a few deer inside it. I always thought Alzheimer's enclosure was pretty big. Seems like it'd be tough to tell that a basket rack was a spike the year before without some sort of unique marker.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Very true. I thought it was pretty big too. From spike to next progression would be the questionable one for sure. His last year would be easier simply because there couldn't have been as many old, grey faced, bucks to differentiate.

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Very true. I thought it was pretty big too. From spike to next progression would be the questionable one for sure. His last year would be easier simply because there couldn't have been as many old, grey faced, bucks to differentiate.
Right. The 1.5 to 2.5 is the only jump that I question. No reason to not believe it... I was just hoping they would've acknowledged how exactly they kept track of that particular deer is all.

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
I was wondering the same thing JB. Total assumption here but I figured the other bucks in the enclosure were identified as well to where the process of elimination came into play. Don't know????

It was kinda sad seeing him wither away like he did! Gives me even more respect and awe in what these mature deer go through in the wild and my admiration was already out the roof!

Here's a new one on GrowingDeer.tv this morning.

Here's a link to that article too

http://www.growingdeer.tv/view/2014/12/12/the-dwindling-of-two-face/