Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Stupid question

bluedog

Well I just wanted to thank you for this thread. I read this last week and of course, I had to look it up and was excited to find out that you can indeed hunt rabbits during the bonus weekend.

In the book under deer hunting what a hunter CAN do (Pg.12 #8)

Hunt other wild animals other than deer, coyotes, or wild boar during the Saturday, December 15, 2012 and Sunday, December 16, 2012 gun season, as long as they possess no shot shells larger than number four shot and comply with hunter orange requirements. No one may hunt with a rifle other than a muzzleloading rifle legal for deer, or posses rifle ammunition.

And so after a very boring morning of seeing no deer at all. I "saddled" up the beagles and we went rabbit hunting after lunch. It was both kids first time rabbit hunting and both kids shot their first rabbit ever. A nice ending to a day that was pretty boring at the start.

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
Glad you made it out bluedog..... I've only been out twice so far which is way below my average lol.... I know the dogs aren't happy with me lol....

Flatlander

Darby Creek
I took my 3 beagles out today to sling some arrows at some rabbits. Took one with a head shot at 20 yards. I love hunting rabbits with the bow, no lead shot to deal with and no hair in the meat. We miss a few but hey, we are just as happy to hear the dogs run. Good times.

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
I took my 3 beagles out today to sling some arrows at some rabbits. Took one with a head shot at 20 yards. I love hunting rabbits with the bow, no lead shot to deal with and no hair in the meat. We miss a few but hey, we are just as happy to hear the dogs run. Good times.

Wow, never heard of anyone doing that! Sounds like a challenging but fun time! Congrats on the wabbit.

bluedog

Ooops, incomplete post. Those weren't my kids finelyshedded. I just borrowed a couple. :)

My neighbor wanted to try and shoot a rabbit with his bow last year and we went out and did this. Came close to getting a shot a couple of times, but did not connect. Had a good time though. Might try again this year. Good stuff!

Flatlander

Darby Creek
You guys have to give it a try. We take step ladders so we can get a little elevation, helps see the rabbit much better and also sticks your arrow in the ground making it easier to find and it's easy to move around. We have some real honey holes where we can't really shoot firearms, houses to close, so the bows make it that much better. I've been taking kids bowhunting for rabbits for so long that some of them have kids now. :smiley_cupid:

Flatlander

Darby Creek
This is a picture of my son and 2 of his buddies back in 2001 during one of our bowhunts for rabbits. They continued to hunt with me every year, a couple of them went off to Iraq and have since returned and hunt with me to this day. They were only 13 then and now have families of their own. I have introduced at least a dozen kids to bowhunting for rabbits and the number continues to grow. They have become some great sportsman. I can't wait until my grandsons and granddaughter are old enough to pull that bow back.

http://www.apachebowhunters.com/Game2001/Jeremy Starr rabbit.jpg