Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Standing Corn

gpb1111

I'm hunting what is typically a corridor between bedding and a 30 acre cornfield.

The corn is still up and I don't see them moving between the two very much. Most of the deer I'm seeing are milling around and coming from completely random places.

Do you think standing corn has a negative effect on deer movement? I've heard it does, but wanted some of your thoughts.

All I can think about is taking my truck through the cornfield knocking every last stalk down.

Just 1 More

I'm hunting what is typically a corridor between bedding and a 30 acre cornfield.

The corn is still up and I don't see them moving between the two very much. Most of the deer I'm seeing are milling around and coming from completely random places.

Do you think standing corn has a negative effect on deer movement? I've heard it does, but wanted some of your thoughts.

All I can think about is taking my truck through the cornfield knocking every last stalk down.

Standing crops can really be a detriment. We hate seeing any standing crops. We notice as soon as the fields are cut, we start seeing more deer in the woods. BUT, if you can set up on the trails to the fresh cut field.. that's like the golden ticket

bigten05

*Supporting Member*
knox county ohio
You answered your question yourself. There bedding in the corn. You will catch some coming and going but if it's possible I'd hunting it as much as possible within the first week of it being picked.

Fullbore

South Eastern Ohio
I personally think that standing corn is mostly responsible for what we call the October Lull. Every year when the deer lose interest in the soybeans, they seem to disappear! Yeah, mast crops like acorns are a preferred food source, but I think that standing corn harbors more deer than the woods we hunt. IMO
It seems like as soon as the corn is taken off, I start seeing better deer movement and even a more active rut. Call it a coincidence , but I've been told by farmers that it's quite a sight to see when they pick their corn! The deer move tighter and tighter to the center of the field until the last couple rows are picked. Lol

gpb1111

As I assumed. The corn all around is being taken down or was taken down weeks ago. It's got to be soon, but probably after the rut with my luck. I have seen a few bucks looking for does, but very few does have been seen. I bet the does are bedded in the corn with the big boys while the young bucks are left searching outside of the corn.

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Go in the corn. You can walk within feet of deer in standing corn. If I thought all of the local deer were there, I'd join them.

Bigslam51

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Stark County

Fullbore

South Eastern Ohio
Great video! Prolly the very first video on deer hunting I had ever watched!
Now the market is flowed with experts trying to make their living selling how too videos! Lol