Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Stan Potts almost kills his 5th 200"

Rutin

Ina Duck Blind
Anyone else seen this velvet ky monster Stan killed a few days ago? I think they said 194-197" depending on the velvet deduction.

Mike

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Up Nort
Will that rack look normal when the velvet comes off? Will it come off? Sorry for the noob questions...

Beentown

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Sunbury, OH
I will throw another newb question out then. What makes deer have dark racks if once power washed that one will be white as snow? Most of the deer in my area have almost chocolate racks.

Beentown

Rutin

Ina Duck Blind
Will that rack look normal when the velvet comes off? Will it come off? Sorry for the noob questions...

Honestly if he keeps the velvet on it will look just like it does in the pic. They freeze dry it just like they do turkey heads and everything stays as is

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
I will throw another newb question out then. What makes deer have dark racks if once power washed that one will be white as snow? Most of the deer in my area have almost chocolate racks.

Beentown

There's some debate on that, but they say what they rub dictates the racks color as much as anything. Canadian deer typically have dark racks from rubbing on evergreen trees. He mesquite in Texas does the same thing. I've heard it can be genetic also. This deer will more than likely have his rack freeze dried and velvet preserved. He'd be a fool to take it off.

Beentown

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Sunbury, OH
Hmm I would have to say that makes sense a bit. We have about 70 acres of pine forest connecting to our property (main hunting property and the one I was referring to).

Beentown

JD Boyd

*Supporting Member*
Urbana
I honestly don't know what to say about this. I know stan has killed some giants in the past but his 2 bucks that have been border line 200 inchers have both been killed with an outfitter. Joel had the ohio buck in his scope but didn't pull the trigger because he knew if stan could kill it would be a big step in his outfitting. I just don't know what to think having someone else do all the work for him and he gets all the credit??? Is this just me??? I mean I know the deer is the states property but... I don't know... I better stop now...