Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Squirrel Hunting and Deer

Diane

*Supporting Member*
Newark
I'm using a corn pile for deer. The deer are feeding there, but mainly at night. The times I have spotted them (a group of 4 usually) is never when I'm up there. If I'm up there in the evening, they were there in the morning and vice-versa. :tantrum:

Anyway, there are tons of squirrels. I'd love to try and shoot some with a .22.

My question is, since I don't know where the deer are bedded, if I am shooting squirrel late mornings, is that going to scare off the deer?

I'm thinking .22's don't make all that much noise, but l am still hoping to drop a deer before season ends, so I'm not sure whether to shoot squirrels or not.

What say you?

FB might be right but to me it sounds like they have you figured out somewhat, perhaps bedding nearby and seeing you come in to hunt. Shooting squirrels might cause them to go more nocturnal for a period if that is the case. I would say make a decision on what you want to do, shoot deer or squirrels. Maybe go in and shoot the squirrels for a day or two and then give it a week's rest or more before going back in for deer.

Treed

Stark County
I squirrel hunt my property out in Carrollton with a .22. Doesn't seem to affect the deer much but they hear guns going off constantly out there and the deer I'm hunting bed a ways off. I don't do a lot of morning deer hunting in the late season, it seems the deer are a lot more active in the evening around my area at this time of year. When I do get an itch to go after squirrel, I usually do it in the morning. There's been quite a few days I've hunted squirrel in the morning and deer in the evening, although to be honest, I've never shot both on the same day but that's mostly because I'm hunting a specific buck this year, not because the .22 scared the deer off in the morning.
If you're not right on top of their bedding area, you'll probably be alright. My property is a travel corridor that the deer use to go from their bedding areas to their grocery store. They bed probably three quarters of a mile away and like I've said, shooting the .22s, the ARs, an occasional 1911, shotguns........it doesn't seem to bother them much but there's a lot of that out in Carroll county so their accustomed to guns going off out that way.

Diane

*Supporting Member*
Newark
I think I am hunting pretty close to their bedding area. At least where they bedded over the summertime.

Guess I'll have to think about things some more. I just want to kill something! hehehe

DeadOn

I don't think the sound of the .22 will change their patterns as much as you scent and presence will. I mean...how many shots you gonna take? 5? maybe 10? Even if you used a gamo air rifle and made minimal sound you would have to be careful of all the walking and scent trails you leave. I would say if you are cautious of those things then you can do both without much effect. However, like Big Holla said...you can use that squirrel time to actually learn more about your deer perhaps.
Best of luck to ya !!

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
If you can hunt the squirrels without trampling thru leaving scent, I might try it. If the sound is of concern to you just use 22 shorts. I agree the scent and human presence will do more harm than shooting some squirrels this time of the year.

Fullbore

South Eastern Ohio
I guess the main question here for me is. If I wanted to eat deer? Hunt deer or if the squirrels sound good? Hunt squirrels? Lol. You just have to be careful and not blunder in and stink the place up. If your not getting any day time pics of deer. I would be squack hunting! Lol.

theshark

If you spray your self down before entering the woods. wouldn't that eliminate any scent you may leave behind? Or just wear rubber soles. rubber leaves no scent behind..

Last edited:
If I was serious about killing a few squirrels I'd get settled in to a spot that isn't the same as where you bowhunt from, just in case a deer does come in and pick you off, and shoot the squirrels and let them drop. Wait til you are ready to leave and then go pick them up on your way out.