Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

spreaders

at1010

*Supporting Member*
I normally just spread pellet lime on my plots honestly its so easy I love it.

Anyways any of you all pics of spreaders you use with your polaris rangers/utv?

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
For pellitized I would say most any spreader will work. For the powder variety, good luck is about all I can say. Haven't found anything which works well. If you have open areas you can hire it out around here. They have slingers which work well and are cool to watch.

Huckleberry Finn

For pellitized I would say most any spreader will work. For the powder variety, good luck is about all I can say. Haven't found anything which works well. If you have open areas you can hire it out around here. They have slingers which work well and are cool to watch.

Slow creeping tractor, trailer, mexicans, and then disc. If you can't find a Mexican, use a high school kid with a shovel.

at1010

*Supporting Member*
I just use pelletized and a pull behind spreader. My plots are smaller and hard to get to with big equipment...

I had a pull behind, and it kind of sucked. I was hoping for something that would mount in my polaris bed, but nothing crazy.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I had a pull behind, and it kind of sucked. I was hoping for something that would mount in my polaris bed, but nothing crazy.

I didn't own it but I used one of the electric spreaders on the back of a friend's Polaris last year. We used it seeding his plots. With pelletized lime you might be okay. With seed, I think we hurt ourselves. With different sized seeds, it seemed like the clovers and smaller seeds just poured out while the larger seeds wouldn't fall out at all unless it was wide open. In the end, I would say it was no better than any other pull behind unit other than the fact it was not bouncing around on it's own wheels.

at1010

*Supporting Member*
I honestly only want one for lime, I seed by hand, and I normally lime by hand, but Im getting lazy.

im in cattle country, a lot of acidic soil, lime is a must! I put down a ton of it last year, and really improved my plots soil, but need just apply a bit more this year.

k.stone

central Ohio
This is what we use

kodak 4-5-09 218.jpg

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Simple. Get some angle iron and a welder out and go to town. Do you have a hitch? You could weld up a bracket to slide into your hitch. Plenty of ways to make it happen. Just need to think outside the manufacturers website and attempt to upsell you on another product.

Huckleberry Finn

I didn't own it but I used one of the electric spreaders on the back of a friend's Polaris last year. We used it seeding his plots. With pelletized lime you might be okay. With seed, I think we hurt ourselves. With different sized seeds, it seemed like the clovers and smaller seeds just poured out while the larger seeds wouldn't fall out at all unless it was wide open. In the end, I would say it was no better than any other pull behind unit other than the fact it was not bouncing around on it's own wheels.

I'm sure Sam will attest as well, getting anything to plant right (especially like in rows consistently) is a constant fiddle with the speed and equipment. I remembering it being a pain in the ass to change the seed plates in the old JD 8 row ever 4 passes to do another variety of sweet corn, but getting the seeds to drop right makes all the difference in the world.

Dang...I miss working after school and riding on the back of the planter spreading the seed around in the hoppers and making sure everything dropping right...

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I agree Huck. In this case though he just wants to throw pellitized lime. Truth be told, he could probably fill the bed of his Polaris and throw it out by the shovel full and it wouldn't be enough. Just getting some lime out there will help whether it is thrown evenly or not. I would venture to say our soil in NW Ohio is better than his and I don't honestly think I could overdo the lime on my plots.

In regards to proper seed rates though, yes, there is a science to it. With different sized seeds you just about need to put them down individually. This was the issue we ran into anyway.

at1010

*Supporting Member*
Last year I just poked holes in the bags and drove around while it poured out. I rather spread it a bit more evenly hahaha.