Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Social Clubs

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
I'm considering joining a social club such as the Moose, Elks or Lions. I don't know jack shit about any of them except they typically have cheap beer and a decent hamburger. I'm mostly looking for networking opportunities more than anything. No offense to any Masons out there but I'm not interested, aprons and chants just aren't my thing. While a great networking location the local country club is a little stuffy for my taste. I'm eleligable to join the VFW and may do so from a support perspective, from what I hear though it's mostly a social bar.

So what say you. Anyone have experience with these places?

Bigslam51

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Stark County
I was a member of the moose for a year, but i only joined for the cheap beer. Great place to socialize with the town folk though.

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
If you're looking to do some networking the Masons are hands down the best one to join....

Military organizations have their limits....

The animal clubs from what I've seen up here they're just drinking clubs....

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
If you're looking to do some networking the Masons are hands down the best one to join....

Military organizations have their limits....

The animal clubs from what I've seen up here they're just drinking clubs....
Years ago I was very interested in the Masons from an entertainment perspective. Secret societies such as the masons, rosocrutions, etc always fascinated me. I even spent a year going to a Mormon church, not because I believed them or wanted to be one, but simply because it fascinated me how someone could amass that many followers. Being a very young religion of only a couple hundred years information is pretty documented. The Mormon temple ceremonies are pretty much verbatim to various Mason traditions, not surprising considering Joseph Smith became a Mason not long before God supposedly talked to him and Mormonism was created. I digress. I don't disagree that the Masons are a very powerful network, hell most anybody who is anybody in this country is a Mason. The brotherhood takes care of their own feom top to bottom. However i know enough about the upper levels of masonry to know I have no interest in being one.

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
Years ago I was very interested in the Masons from an entertainment perspective. Secret societies such as the masons, rosocrutions, etc always fascinated me. I even spent a year going to a Mormon church, not because I believed them or wanted to be one, but simply because it fascinated me how someone could amass that many followers. Being a very young religion of only a couple hundred years information is pretty documented. The Mormon temple ceremonies are pretty much verbatim to various Mason traditions, not surprising considering Joseph Smith became a Mason not long before God supposedly talked to him and Mormonism was created. I digress. I don't disagree that the Masons are a very powerful network, hell most anybody who is anybody in this country is a Mason. The brotherhood takes care of their own feom top to bottom. However i know enough about the upper levels of masonry to know I have no interest in being one.

Gotcha, but I believe you'll be spinning your wheels with other mainstream clubs... Shy of the masons you'd be better off networking local golf clubs to meet and rub elbows...

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
Gotcha, but I believe you'll be spinning your wheels with other mainstream clubs... Shy of the masons you'd be better off networking local golf clubs to meet and rub elbows...
Kind of what i thought. I don't mind the country club. Just not a huge fan of golf due to the time commitment. I don't mind hacking away networking but I doubt I'll ever grab my clubs and head to the links.

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
Kind of what i thought. I don't mind the country club. Just not a huge fan of golf due to the time commitment. I don't mind hacking away networking but I doubt I'll ever grab my clubs and head to the links.

Most of the guys I know who golf do it for the networking more so then for the love of the game.... Well that and the beer drinking...

Dustinb80

#FACKCANCER
Supporting Member
S.W. Ohio
Im a former member of the VFW in Fairfield, I left bc the jukebox sucked and the place smelled like formaldehyde. Im currently a member of the American Legion in Hamilton. Its not too bad I guess. Beer is cheap. Not a very big place, space wise. They do a lot for the community tho. I just recently joined the Optimist club in Fairfield. $1.50 beer at the weekly meetings. Everyone plays cards after the meetings. The MASC tournament is held here every year and this group does a ton of community work. Even the Mayor is a member. They also bust each others balls like we do here. I think Ill enjoy that group lol.

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Most of the "social clubs" around me are nothing more than beer drinking and gambling hangouts. The food's good but aside from that it'd be a waste of time. A good friend of mine is a Mason. I don't ask much about it... But it seems cult-like from the outside looking in. I simply don't know enough about them.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
Most of the "social clubs" around me are nothing more than beer drinking and gambling hangouts. The food's good but aside from that it'd be a waste of time. A good friend of mine is a Mason. I don't ask much about it... But it seems cult-like from the outside looking in. I simply don't know enough about them.
At the lower levels it's no more cultish than a Greek fraternity. They have their own ceremonies and sayings and things like that, even a bitchn secret handshake. Mostly just a group of guys in an organized Club doing things for the community exedra. It doesn't start to get weird until you move up until the middle ranks of the organization. Much like the low end mobster Tommy two toes doesn't really understand a lot about what all the mob does, he just knows he's part of a group or a family. It's not until you get up into the upper levels does the true extent of what's really going on become evident. I am in no way saying they are a criminal organization but their influence and reach is similar. If you were to look at the three letter leadership of most Fortune 500 you will find that Masons are very well represented, it is even more prevalent at the upper levels of our own government.

This is not surprising once you consider their oath of obligation requires them to take care of their own.

I furthermore promise and swear that I will aid and assist, all poor distressed brother Master Masons, their widows or orphans, they applying to me as such, and I deeming them worthy.

CJD3

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NE Ohio

Ya. What he said...

Milo

Tatonka guide.
What are trying to achieve with this social club? Something to do it what? Networking for what? Personal or professional?

Last edited:

CJD3

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NE Ohio
"... I don't want to belong to any club that will accept me as a member"
Groucho Marx

:smiley_chinrub:

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
What are trying to achieve with this social club? Something to do it what?
Localised networking in a non business environment. I have a ton of professional connections but our connection is purely business and typically centered around my career field. I need to expand that to other areas. It never hurts to be on a first-name basis with an attorney, accountant, financial planner, director of a local company, board member of a local nonprofit etc.

CJD3

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NE Ohio
For what it's worth,
I have found that "most" people joining a club or group to simply network become annoying or are usually just taking up space on a roster.
Find a organization you have a passion or belief in, and the networking will come by default.

Wmiller07

Just my two cents but the Masons seem very shady. I've watched some documentaries and read things on them and it is definitely not something I want to be apart of. Even if there wasn't some weird cultish behavior I wouldn't want to take an oath to have my "brother's" back if my "brother" is a complete slime ball.

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
For what it's worth,
I have found that "most" people joining a club or group to simply network become annoying or are usually just taking up space on a roster.
Find a organization you have a passion or belief in, and the networking will come by default.

Agreed....

Wmiller07

For what it's worth,

This