Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

smoking doesn't work??

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
Doubt he told you that, more like you read it hear after your article was posted. You formerly suggested using pine needles. The fact is HARDWOODS, such as oak, hickory, mesquite, and yes apple, are all higher in phenol. In fact, there are 20 phenolic compounds in hardwood smoke. The primary component which MAY be why smoke works, is carbolic acid...the first anti-septic, discovered by Joseph Lister (Listerine).

One of the reasons I quit doing SS; redundancy. Repeating the same thing over and over, gets old. All of this information was readily available on the SS website, for those that chose to read it. Additionally, most all these folks here have said all this probably a dozen times each, and are likely tired of repeating this crap too. That is why the *sticky* thread exist... There are NO questions to be asked that haven't been, same with the answers...

If you don't want to try smoke, don't think it works.... who cares. Many of us have seen it work far more times than it's failed, no one will convince us it isn't effect. For those that don't want to use it... DON'T.

Read this:

http://www.theohiooutdoors.com/showthread.php?12934-Smokers-Welcome-Official-Scent-Smoker-Thread

And this guy too. Lol.

"I'm surrounded by assholes."

themedic

OHIO
Doubt he told you that, more like you read it hear after your article was posted. You formerly suggested using pine needles. The fact is HARDWOODS, such as oak, hickory, mesquite, and yes apple, are all higher in phenol. In fact, there are 20 phenolic compounds in hardwood smoke. The primary component which MAY be why smoke works, is carbolic acid...the first anti-septic, discovered by Joseph Lister (Listerine).

One of the reasons I quit doing SS; redundancy. Repeating the same thing over and over, gets old. All of this information was readily available on the SS website, for those that chose to read it. Additionally, most all these folks here have said all this probably a dozen times each, and are likely tired of repeating this crap too. That is why the *sticky* thread exist... There are NO questions to be asked that haven't been, same with the answers...

If you don't want to try smoke, don't think it works.... who cares. Many of us have seen it work far more times than it's failed, no one will convince us it isn't effect. For those that don't want to use it... DON'T.

Read this:

http://www.theohiooutdoors.com/showthread.php?12934-Smokers-Welcome-Official-Scent-Smoker-Thread

Got it.....doesn't matter as long as it makes smoke (carbonic acid).

What about smoke causing cancer?

Mike

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Up Nort
I say no. I've known people to concentrate cigarette smoke into their lungs for many many years and not die of cancer. I think there are far worse carcinogens that we are exposed to daily.

Kaiser878

ohio
No. You have to buy a bunch of RNT duck calls, chop em up and use em..... very expensive. But very nastalgic

Carpn

*Supporting Member*
Wooster
It might , or it might give you a incredible high . Ever seen the southpark where theyre using cat spray ? ..lol .

Steelheadtracker

Everything causes cancer anymore so there is no point worrying about it. Me looking at this screen typing this causes cancer. Me breathing as I'm typing this causes cancer. The detergents used to clean the blankets I'm laying on causes cancer. Id be willing to bet scent killer sprays are far worse for you than smoke is. I'm in the process of buying one off brock. Everyone's testimony here about it has me sold.

Hogmister13

So yesterday I set out to try the smoker for the 3rd time In hopes to kill a doe. Went through my usual Smoking ritual. Sat In the stand for 30 minutes and upwind a doe and yearling came out. They fed around for 5 to ten minutes until they got straight down wind of me. The Mommie doe stuck her head in the air and began stomping the ground as if she knew I was in the area. This went on for about 5 minutes then she slowly turned and exited the area. Edge of dark a small 8 came out from upwind, same direction as the doe. He came within shooting distance but as soon a he crossed my wind he stuck his nose in the air and it was like he had been shot at. He quickly jumped 10ft away, kicked dirt up as he pounced away, stopped about 100 yards out and blowed the place down. Now I'm thinking to myself, okay these guys have been feeding me a load of bull and playing a joke or something cause I can't get it to work where I hunt. Goin back to my old ritual. Sorry guys, the smoker is a bust for me. It works for y'all so by all means keep on smoking an ill keep on spraying ! Good luck

Joel

Centerburg, Ohio
You had deer that close to you for 5-10 minutes and you think the smoke scared them off? Someone else claimed the deer 1/4 mile away ran from the smell.

MK111

"Happy Hunting Grounds in the Sky"
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
You had deer that close to you for 5-10 minutes and you think the smoke scared them off? Someone else claimed the deer 1/4 mile away ran from the smell.

Thinking the same thing. I'm leaning towards the deer seen you move or they seen your eye blink. But what the hell do I know I wasn't there smoked up to notice.

xbowguy

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Licking Co. Ohio
Just a thought. With everybody's body chemistry being different....You suppose there are people who just have the wrong chemistry for this to work?

Dustinb80

#FACKCANCER
Supporting Member
S.W. Ohio
Just a thought. With everybody's body chemistry being different....You suppose there are people who just have the wrong chemistry for this to work?

I could see that. It sucks to hear it doesn't work for Hogmister, its so effective for everyone else. There has to be a reason why it doesn't work him.

Mike

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Up Nort
You're thinking is all wrong. It's not that they associate the smell of smoke with someone's woodstove. It's just simply that smoke has never tried to kill them. They don't see it as a predatory smell. But it is also not something that they haven't likely ran across in their life. If you go into an area busting deer out left and right smelling like smoke it will not take them long to make the association.

^^^ This!!
Swanny told me this years ago.