Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Smoke'n up

Still smoking up?

• Total voters

Mountaineer

Banned
WV
There is a swamp bottom that is basically impossible to hunt. You go down in there and you get busted everytime. Is the smoker that good that i could hunt that bottom?

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
There is a swamp bottom that is basically impossible to hunt. You go down in there and you get busted everytime. Is the smoker that good that i could hunt that bottom?

YES... When i bought the smoker i took it to a holler that i could never hunt.. I tried a couple times over the years and would get busted left, right, here and there... The wind swirled in there like crazy... I laughed all the way there because remember i bought the thing to disprove it.. And this was going to be the test.. Here come the deer from across the road.. I let them feed around me while i released floats into the wind.. I kept making excuses, not right, not there yet, not completely down wind... I had about 12 deer all around me for a good 10 minutes. I released a floater and it landed not but a foot or so from a does nose.... Game over.. I drew back and slammed her..... SOLD...

Go ahead man... Smoke up and hide and see. :)

RedCloud

Super Moderator
Super Mod
North Central Ohio
I smoked up last night! Do you guys smoker every time out or do you feel like it clings on to the clothes and its not necessary?

I don't do my clothes everytime out. I go 3 hunts or so between smokes sometimes more depending on weather conditions being hunted. Don't want your cloths to start looking like the inside of the smoker afterall. I feel if you over smoke your cloths your going to have to wash them more often just to get the soot off so the fibers can grab and hold the smoke. I might be wrong but that's my opinion on the issue.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
It's just as important to get the smoke on you as it is your clothes.. Your hair, arms, neck, beard, etc.. It's not only a cover but it's also antimicrobial, and bacterial. Sweat causes bacteria and microbes which cause odor, the properties in smoke kill these, just as it does in smoked meat. It's very important to smoke your clothes, yourself, gear, and anything going in with you.

With that being said I smoke up every time i go in the woods... I have quit "pre smoking" my clothes. I'll smoke up my clothes heavy the first hunt after a wash. Then on subsequent hunts i do a quick once over on my clothes like under arms etc to cover or kill anything there, but i concentrate more on myself, especially my hair, arms, wrists, neck line, etc.

Redhunter1012

Supporting Member
It's just as important to get the smoke on you as it is your clothes.. Your hair, arms, neck, beard, etc.. It's not only a cover but it's also antimicrobial, and bacterial. Sweat causes bacteria and microbes which cause odor, the properties in smoke kill these, just as it does in smoked meat. It's very important to smoke your clothes, yourself, gear, and anything going in with you.

With that being said I smoke up every time i go in the woods... I have quit "pre smoking" my clothes. I'll smoke up my clothes heavy the first hunt after a wash. Then on subsequent hunts i do a quick once over on my clothes like under arms etc to cover or kill anything there, but i concentrate more on myself, especially my hair, arms, wrists, neck line, etc.

Basically what I do TOO

Gern186

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NW Ohio Tundra

I noticed that even after showering there is a slight smoke smell left on my skin.