Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Small bucks

MK111

"Happy Hunting Grounds in the Sky"
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
I went to the deer processor this week and picked up my meat and antlers. There was about 12-15 bucks there being processed. Not a one of them was big enough to harvest. Anything from forkhorns to small 8 pts.
There will never be many larger bucks around if all those small ones are shot each year. Since it's bow only now all the bucks were shot by bow hunters.
The processor said he had over 200 deer processed already. I guess if it's brown it's dead.

Mike

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Up Nort
Some people meat hunt. Antlers are second place to meat. Some may have been from a kids hunt? It's nothing new. Every year huge bucks are killed and I'm amazed at how they were able to grow that large.

Fullbore

South Eastern Ohio
Here's an observation that I have noticed this year. In my hunting areas, anyway. I have noticed that most of the older bucks haven't grown much in antler development. Much bigger body size, but most have just put on a little mass on their horns. The chance of killing 130-140 bucks are good, but anything bigger? Is going to be difficult.
To answer your question about hunters killing small bucks. I think that there is an increase of new bow hunters TOO. Most of them are going to shoot the first buck they see. Some are also younger hunters taking their first. Just my opinion.

Diablo54

Outside
I went to the deer processor this week and picked up my meat and antlers. There was about 12-15 bucks there being processed. Not a one of them was big enough to harvest. Anything from forkhorns to small 8 pts.
There will never be many larger bucks around if all those small ones are shot each year. Since it's bow only now all the bucks were shot by bow hunters.
The processor said he had over 200 deer processed already. I guess if it's brown it's dead.

If you see it this way you shouldn't be hunting. You are missing the point. Yeah I may sound like a dick but who made a rule that you had to kill big deer?

rooster85

Lake County
Some people meat hunt. Antlers are second place to meat. Some may have been from a kids hunt? It's nothing new. Every year huge bucks are killed and I'm amazed at how they were able to grow that large.

I meat hunt, i could care less about horns but I'm not out to kill a spike or BB. Like the others have mentioned those deer could have been shot by kids, new hunters, or maybe somebody just wanted to eat some tender young deer. There isn't an age restriction on deer being harvested right? QDM should start with the DNR.

5Cent

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
North Central Ohio
Just passed up a small 7, if i have a buck tag in a few weeks, he's getting it and Ill be tickled pink! If he was the first opportunity to harvest this year, the arrow would have been released.

I hunt for food for my family. I hunt because I love the time in the woods. Lastly, I hunt because of the challenge. I will kill deer that most would laugh at and it doesn't bother me one bit. Not everyone has equal opportunities and resources....north central ohio is much, much, much different than most places in the state. To find a tract of woods over 30acres is uncommon.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
I agree with Taylor. Shoot what makes you happy. When neighbors shot small deer, I cringe. But if they are happy, I can live with it. I don't shoot small bucks because its not rewarding and I can kill does for meat. I know people who hunt until they kill a deer, whatever it is, then they're done. They just want meat. Nothing wrong with that.

We all hunt for different reasons. I like the challenge of hunting the bigger bucks that inhabit my area. I normally only shoot a doe if someone is hunting with me that can use the venison. My two grandsons plan to hunt the youth season. Is asked them to only shoot bucks, because the bucks in my area outnumber the does by at least 3:1.

And I agree with 5cent, where one hunts makes a huge difference in what one considers an attainable goal.

Mike R

*Supporting Member*
My other job takes me in the back door of most of the processors in the Dayton area. From what I see there is more little bucks shot every year than big ones. What gets me is the amount of racks that are left just to be thrown away. The hunter never returns to get them. They are meat hunters I'm sure but why shot the buck?
I mount some small deer every year and the hunter who gets them is just as happy as the guy who gets the booner. A trophy deer is just that in the eye of the hunter or he wouldn't shoot it.

MK111

Supporting Member
SW Ohio
If you see it this way you shouldn't be hunting. You are missing the point. Yeah I may sound like a dick but who made a rule that you had to kill big deer?

Gee guys I'm glad I don't bruise easy. I'm a meat hunter to. But gee.

dante322

*Supporting Member*
Crawford county
They are meat hunters I'm sure but why shot the buck?

Because the does have been decimated in the last few years. there are more bucks around here than there are does. probably why deer sightings are so few and far between.

MK111

Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Because the does have been decimated in the last few years. there are more bucks around here than there are does. probably why deer sightings are so few and far between.

I don't think that's the case here. Our deer herd hasn't been hurt much in the last few years. Plenty of deer.
But will all the does we have in this area I just don't see shooting all the smaller bucks.
Sorry I brought the subject up.

Mike

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Up Nort

I have trail cams to prove that, at least in my two spots where I've hung cams, the fawns were ALL button bucks and the buck to doe ratio is crazy. This is why I have no problem with killing a larger BB where I hunt.

cotty16

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
MK, it's cool. Just a civil conversation. If this was going on in person I think everyone's tone would be civil. Tough to portray that in writing though.

To each his own when it comes to hunting. Personally, I look for something I can hang on the wall. I've never even shot a doe. With that said, I think it's awesome when guys and gals harvest whatever they want. Hunting is about fun and enjoying the outdoors. Just enjoy the time out.

My boys both want to shoot doe. Hey, fine by me. As long as their enjoying hunting. I may even stick one later this winter if none of us have cashed in. I need some sloppy doe meat! Oh, and back straps too.