Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Slugs?

at1010

*Supporting Member*
I am not a huge shotgun hunter, but I try to patrol my farm every year, and if I see a monster buck or coyote I shoot it.

I have started two years ago shooting Hornady SST slugs, and I love them, anyone else shoot these?

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I've heard plenty of good things about the Hornady SST's. I am a little partial to the Federal Premium Barnes Expanders, though.

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
Copper solid fan up too this point..... but and there's always a but..... I'm changing too a savage 220 and everything I read so far tells me either copper solids or sst's so once I get the scope rings tomorrow and get the leupold mounted we'll see....

CJD3

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NE Ohio
I have been shooting the Winchester Sabots for about 8-10 years now out of a Winchester 1200 pump slug barrel. I have never needed to shoot a deer a second time with one of those.

But lets face it. You can have two 1911's or a pair of 10/22's or slug guns. Each new from the same factory, at the range and they paper the same ammo at the same time...
Half the time, the two guns will like different types of manf. ammo. I don't really know why but I've seen it many times. You have to try several type manf, paper them on a rest. The gun will tell you weather you need to buy Federal or Winchester or Blazer or Colt or load your own ammo. If your like me I'm sure many of you have partial box's of ammo you tried but didn't like "laying" around.

Monster Raxx

Minnesota
The best I have ever shot are the Remington AccuTip out of my sons Savage bolt action 20 gauge. I do like Brenneke Gold 3" Mags from my Browning Gold with a rifled barrel and my Ithaca Deer Slayer also.

Monster Raxx

Minnesota
Copper solid fan up too this point..... but and there's always a but..... I'm changing too a savage 220 and everything I read so far tells me either copper solids or sst's so once I get the scope rings tomorrow and get the leupold mounted we'll see....

Hey J that is the gun I bought my son in the youth model. They told me to buy the Remmington AccuTip slugs for it. It is a tack driver with those slugs. Just thought you would want to know. Good luck I hope you find the perfect slug for your gun.

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Been a Copper Solid Sabot guy my whole life...

:) I still think of them as "new"!

I like Winchester Super X. They have always shot great out of the three shotguns I've used them in. A Mossturd, Remington 870, and Remington 1100. All smoothbores of course. I've killed deer at far longer ranges than I ever should have with them. One was sorta an accident. :) At 100 yards though, a deer is as good as stone dead if I decide to shoot it with a Winchester. And they are CHEAP!

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
Hey J that is the gun I bought my son in the youth model. They told me to buy the Remmington AccuTip slugs for it. It is a tack driver with those slugs. Just thought you would want to know. Good luck I hope you find the perfect slug for your gun.

Thanks Tom, I've read that many times in my research on the gun..... I'm buying the accutips as well as the SST's and we'll see how they work.... Appreciate the info....

at1010

*Supporting Member*
I shoot a reminton 1187 with a nikon scope.

I shot a coyote last year at 75 yards last year, I love those slugs, but to each his own!

I always wanted a savage 220! have heard great things about them!

DJK Frank 16

Supporting Member
Hardin County
I've always shot Rem Sluggers out of my 870 Express. I guess I've never really tried to paper anything else though, they shoot well enough for me.

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
I shoot a reminton 1187 with a nikon scope.

I shot a coyote last year at 75 yards last year, I love those slugs, but to each his own!

I always wanted a savage 220! have heard great things about them!

I'll keep you updated on the progress .....

dante322

*Supporting Member*
Crawford county
when I first bought my 870, I got a box of sst's and a box of coppersolids. (as well as a couple others) The sst's grouped loosely high and left. I proceeded to put all 5 copper solids through the same hole an inch above the bullseye at 75 yards. Havent bought anything else.

at1010

*Supporting Member*
when I first bought my 870, I got a box of sst's and a box of coppersolids. (as well as a couple others) The sst's grouped loosely high and left. I proceeded to put all 5 copper solids through the same hole an inch above the bullseye at 75 yards. Havent bought anything else.

aint that werid how they will all fly different for different people.

Idk if the SSTs do anything different when they hit, but everything I have shot with them as it just tore it up.