Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Skin on/off

Redhunter1012

Supporting Member
Cutting bones and exposure to bone marrow gives it the Gamey taste (imho)

Exactly. Most everybody who says they have eaten "gamey" venison most likely ate stuff that came from a butcher who ban saws the hind quarters and chops. FWIW, if I'm hanging for longer than a day I leave the skin on. It may take a few more minutes to skin down, but it doesn't get dried out like jerky either

Spencie

Constitution Ohio
I have always cut my deer up the day I kill it or the day after. They never hang more than one day. They always taste great. I think gamey taste is the result of poor field care such as not gutting them immediately, spilling intestinal matter on meat or not cutting it up quick enough in warm weather.

Milo

Tatonka guide.
If It's cold, I hang for a week or more with the skin on. If I get a stomach or gut hit if any kind I pull the hide off immediately and don't let the gut juices run under the hide and damage the meat. It will do that and start so funky/ nasty stuff

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
If It's cold, I hang for a week or more with the skin on. If I get a stomach or gut hit if any kind I pull the hide off immediately and don't let the gut juices run under the hide and damage the meat. It will do that and start so funky/ nasty stuff
^^^ this. I will usually let em hang for a while if it's cold enough, but when it's warm I've butchered same day many times and they always taste just as good IMO. I just don't prefer to butcher when the meat is warm because it doesn't seem to cut and pull apart as easy.

Depending on time of year as to whether I skin it right away or leave it on. Naturally if it's warm I'm skinning and breaking down the deer into quarters and putting those in our extra fridge. If it's cooler and I can let a deer hang (if I have time) I will leave it on and let it hang for a couple days if possible. I've never minded skinning a deer once it's been hanging a while, in fact I actually prefer it as everything is drying up by then, less blood and slimy fat to deal with. A sharp knife makes it easy to hit the stuff holding the skin in place and good downward pressure makes it come off fine for me.

Bigcountry40

All the deer I killed this year it was like 60 degrees so I really didnt have have that option this year, stupid global warming!:tantrum:

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
^^^ this. I will usually let em hang for a while if it's cold enough, but when it's warm I've butchered same day many times and they always taste just as good IMO. I just don't prefer to butcher when the meat is warm because it doesn't seem to cut and pull apart as easy.

Ditto! As well as with what Milo said.