Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Show and Tell: Your hunting bow...

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
uploadfromtaptalk1464002537230.jpg

One thing on my list this spring was an overhaul of the archery situation at my place. My targets need a new home and some work, as did the bows. I changed the strings on my bow and Tracie's getting rid of some less than impressive threads and going back to 452x strings made by Extreme Bowstrings. I took my QAD Ultra HD off and put it on Tracie's, then added a Limb Driver Pro-V to mine. I also changed the pins on her Viper, swapped her stab, then cleaned/lubed both bows from top to bottom. Arrows are done and bows are waiting to be tuned. I'm building a paper tuning rack, then it's game on for the tuning.

Last edited:

HuntingNut

New to the site, I will get a few pictures posted.

Bow:
Mathews Halon 6
QAD Pro Drop Away
Black Gold Ascent Ambush 5 pin adjustable sighted in out to 100
First String Cable and Strings
BeeStinger 10" out front with 3oz's of weight
Bee Stinger 6" out back with 7oz's of weight
Easton Axis 340's/Blazer Vanes
Muzzy Trocar 100 grain
Stats: 73lb draw, 29" Drawlength, 301fps
Come on September

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
Not a bow or arrows, but a vital piece to the whole puzzle. Wally World has the Plano archery tool box for $14. Very handy little box and makes for a great traveling bow shop.

uploadfromtaptalk1472133869833.jpg

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
View attachment 44489

One thing on my list this spring was an overhaul of the archery situation at my place. My targets need a new home and some work, as did the bows. I changed the strings on my bow and Tracie's getting rid of some less than impressive threads and going back to 452x strings made by Extreme Bowstrings. I took my QAD Ultra HD off and put it on Tracie's, then added a Limb Driver Pro-V to mine. I also changed the pins on her Viper, swapped her stab, then cleaned/lubed both bows from top to bottom. Arrows are done and bows are waiting to be tuned. I'm building a paper tuning rack, then it's game on for the tuning.
Spent all afternoon starting over on my tuning after a head up ass fubar left me all sorts of out of whack come sight-in time even though the bow paper tuned well. I'd forgotten a crucial step at the very beginning (measuring tiller) and it cost me down the road. Today I screwed up again after not realizing what my idler wheel was doing in response to my twists and how that related to my tears in paper. (Fuggin nock tear shit in relation to yoke tuning is confusing at first...) After Milo came to the rescue, I got things back in order. Unfortunately my should said enough was enough after 30 shots and I'll need to finish up tomorrow when I have better form. I'm so close...

uploadfromtaptalk1472168343956.jpg

rsmith

New to the site, I will get a few pictures posted.

Bow:
Mathews Halon 6
QAD Pro Drop Away
Black Gold Ascent Ambush 5 pin adjustable sighted in out to 100
First String Cable and Strings
BeeStinger 10" out front with 3oz's of weight
Bee Stinger 6" out back with 7oz's of weight
Easton Axis 340's/Blazer Vanes
Muzzy Trocar 100 grain
Stats: 73lb draw, 29" Drawlength, 301fps
Come on September
Hey man, first off welcome to the site! I see you're shooting muzzy trocars, your blades on yours, if you grab them lightly and try to move them, do they move at all? I have them in Deep Six and 5 out of the 6 of the heads do that and the blades are all the way tightened down. Just wondering if I was the only one who has this or what? I sent them to muzzy this afternoon to see if they could tell what was wrong if they were a possible defect or what.

OO2

In the Uplands
I have been toying around the idea of getting a new bow. I was pretty much deadest on a Mathews <$800 when I was looking. This trip to the bowshop I shot a Z2, Z3, and HTR. The HTR continually felt the best and I had about made up my mind when I was told to try the Hoyt Defiant. This bow felt real good to me as I shot them side by side to get a comparison and I ended up walking out of the shop with it. Only have shot it a few times but I plan to sight it in tomorrow and play around with it some more. I got the Hoyt Drop-Away rest, 10" B-Stringer Stabilizer with 3oz. weights, and a 5 pin slideable sight. IMG_1259.jpg

Milo

Tatonka guide.
Welcome to the Hoyt family. Very smooth bow and easy to tune. If you haven't already done it, put blue loctite on the draw stop peg threads

wv67

I've been fighting arthritis in my shoulders for two years last year I only hunted three days with the bow , 63 lbs Xforce , wanting a new bow with an easy draw looking at the Moxie brand and the mathews no cams

Just 1 More

I've been fighting arthritis in my shoulders for two years last year I only hunted three days with the bow , 63 lbs Xforce , wanting a new bow with an easy draw looking at the Moxie brand and the mathews no cams

My shoulder doesn't like the 70# much anymore.. I'm looking to pick up an Elite E35 55-65

Milo

Tatonka guide.

Xforce bows have a horrible draw cycle and your shoulders won't be happy with them. Elites and Hoyt's are generally very shoulder friendly. Depending on bow selection because about everybody has a speed bow.

wv67

Yes sir the x force is a no go I've used it the last few years and lived it but the shoulders can't do it any longer and at the time I don't wanna switch to x bow , not that their is anything wrong with them I just love my compounds , just gotta find something I can draw with not as much pain