Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Shotgun and scope questions

Bigcountry40

This is the money-shot post right here. Rifled barrel with sabot slugs is an accurate, deadly, and little bit expensive combo.
If you own a Mossberg 500 12 gauge combo, there's no other gun you need. mischeif.gifmischeif.gif

Ill put my rifled barrel 500 mossberg with wichester super x 3" sabots up against any gun/slug combo, best purchase I ever made with a very basic scope.

Dannmann801

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Springboro
Another happy Mossberger!

What I think is great is the versatility of the combo - you have a super accurate and deadly offering with the scoped barrel, and the option of using regular rifled slugs with open sights for close-in situations - sometimes open sights are better. Then you can go duck hunting in the afternoon.

Remington/Mossberg - doesn't matter - the combo is the thing.
To me. Personally. IMHO

CASEYAMMONS

My 17 year old stepson bowhunted a few weeks back up there and saw some good does but no bucks. He was discouraged until I scrolled through the site last night showing him the monsters killed this year already. OK, maybe I snuck that Indiana stud in there but i wanted him to be encouraged instead of worried. And rest assured guys, I am not like most NR hunters that want to come up and kill all your deer. I enjoy the hunt as much as anything and will not be shooting anything that is not post worthy. It is really a chance to spend some time with him doing something he loves prior to him leaving home for the military next fall. I am very impressed with you guys wanting the best for your state's herd and I am saddened to see that you are suffering from the same thing there as here. Fewer deer, smaller racks and disease from time to time. I may not even take a shot at a buck, but i will enjoy my time in your beautiful state.

Thanks for all the advice. We are going to stick to our 2 Mossberg UltiMags and see what happens. Our longest shot sounds like about 75 to 90 yards so we should be good to go. I enjoy reading the posts about hunts and seeing pictures of arguably the most beautiful creature God placed on the planet...besides Carrie Underwood at least!!

Bigcountry40

My 17 year old stepson bowhunted a few weeks back up there and saw some good does but no bucks. He was discouraged until I scrolled through the site last night showing him the monsters killed this year already. OK, maybe I snuck that Indiana stud in there but i wanted him to be encouraged instead of worried. And rest assured guys, I am not like most NR hunters that want to come up and kill all your deer. I enjoy the hunt as much as anything and will not be shooting anything that is not post worthy. It is really a chance to spend some time with him doing something he loves prior to him leaving home for the military next fall. I am very impressed with you guys wanting the best for your state's herd and I am saddened to see that you are suffering from the same thing there as here. Fewer deer, smaller racks and disease from time to time. I may not even take a shot at a buck, but i will enjoy my time in your beautiful state.

Thanks for all the advice. We are going to stick to our 2 Mossberg UltiMags and see what happens. Our longest shot sounds like about 75 to 90 yards so we should be good to go. I enjoy reading the posts about hunts and seeing pictures of arguably the most beautiful creature God placed on the planet...besides Carrie Underwood at least!!
Casey I lived in NC for 4 years, I dealt with the cut throat hunt clubs, raising club prices to eliminate members, land lease out bidders so others would lose their property, I honestly had never seen grown men act in such ways over a deer. I found/fell into a great group of guys that I began hunting with (they treated me like family), but the 2 years I was in a hunting club guys found out I was from Ohio, it was like flies on shit. Most the guys down there thought there was a 140" hiding behind each tree. I would like to see our state regulate NR's with drawing system, raise the license price to what Illinois pays and completely restructure our outfitter laws. But I really do hope the best for your son and your self.

CASEYAMMONS

I was shocked to see the NR licenses were reasonable. I was really expecting $300. South Carolina is an hour away and I paid over $125 15 years ago to hunt there. There are very few big bucks left here primarily due to urban sprawl. Down east has more deer but the mountains produce the bigger bucks as well as the counties on the Virginia line. I don't disagree with a thing you said as a resident of Ohio. Thanks for the well wishes

HeartLunger

I've always taken a different view to NR hunters than what seems to be the perception. I've looked at it from an economic point of view. Hoping NR Hunter's would come, buy gear, food, and lodging. Deer are one of our best natural resources in Ohio and can generate economic good for residents. So, welcome to Ohio and enjoy your stay!

scoutinlife

My Remington 1100 has a burris droptine scope got it last year at Midway USA 119 bucks. 2x7x35 great clear optics its sweet for the money it the shotgun model. My other is 1x4x20 leupold got used of ebay 110 great scope for thick stuff.

scoutinlife

An the 870 scoped is a smoothbore very accurate with Winchester rackmasters 75 yards an under. If I have longer shot areas I take the 1100 hasting rifle barrel with Winchester dual bonds.