Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Shot a doe..now im stumped

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
yeah but they et bugs and bark and roots and rice and grass and feesh and berries and seeds and oh fugg i forget - dang

They also had a population of deer, elk, buffalo, and other edible meat critters to wound and lose 15 a day if they wanted. A completely wild population of critters at maximum carrying capacity for the land. They didn't have to worry about deer population until the white man showed up. I would venture to say it was easier to kill a deer back then with a spear than it is today with a $1,000 bow.

MK111

"Happy Hunting Grounds in the Sky"
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
The last 3 deer I took never bled a hardly a drop for the 1st 100 yds. 2 were high lung shots and a liver shot.
2 deer recovered within 100 yds. and 1 at 150 yds.
Not really sure the deer in question isn't dead laying somewhere and just hasn't been found. IMHO

Geezer II

Bountiful Hunting Grounds Beyond.
portage county oh
They also had a population of deer, elk, buffalo, and other edible meat critters to wound and lose 15 a day if they wanted. A completely wild population of critters at maximum carrying capacity for the land. They didn't have to worry about deer population until the white man showed up. I would venture to say it was easier to kill a deer back then with a spear than it is today with a $1,000 bow.

calm down joe - i was just mess with Eric a li'll - dang

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
Had a buddy shoot a doe at a pretty steep angle with a Piston Point broadhead several season ago. For the angle, it was a perfect shot. The broadhead failed to open and it pulled a golf ball sized wad of fat out the drain hole he put in her. Even squeegeed the arrow clean. Never found a drop of blood and the only reason we found her was an educated guess on my part. When he opened her up, she was plum full of blood. Served as a good lesson!

OhioHunter88

Perry County
haha. just checked up on the thread and it seems that I have forgot how crazy you guys are. We logged about 6 hours last night and today looking for her, no sign and no deer, covered a good bit of ground. I hate to lose a deer and even worse hate to see a deer wounded. Things happen and I understand that but I do still feel bad about it. I will post back if she is ever recovered or shows up on cam.

yotehunter

spencerville oh
haha. just checked up on the thread and it seems that I have forgot how crazy you guys are. We logged about 6 hours last night and today looking for her, no sign and no deer, covered a good bit of ground. I hate to lose a deer and even worse hate to see a deer wounded. Things happen and I understand that but I do still feel bad about it. I will post back if she is ever recovered or shows up on cam.

As much as I hate to say it if you hunt long enough it does happen. It does suck and makes a guy sick. but it happens. Just keep at it and try and remember what went wrong and make the next one count. Keep your head up.