Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Shooting in Ashtabula County?

CJD3

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NE Ohio
http://fox8.com/2017/11/27/hunter-shot-and-killed-in-ashtabula-county/

MONROE TOWNSHIP, Ohio-- An avid hunter was shot and killed in Ashtabula County Monday, on the first day of deer gun-hunting season in Ohio.

It happened near Horton Road in Monroe Township.

According to investigators with the Ohio Department of Natural Resources,
Randy Gozzard, 62, flew into town from St. Petersburg, Florida, to hunt with family members.

“There were 4 people in the hunting party at the time this occurred,” said Jarod Roof, ODNR, district 3 law enforcement supervisor.

Half a dozen investigators searched the thickly-wooded area all day and until the sun set Monday, collecting evidence, but at this time it’s still unclear what happened.

The hunters were all reportedly spread out at the time of the shooting.

The property is privately owned. Gozzard and his hunting party had permission to be there, but it’s unclear if anyone else was on the land or if someone nearby fired the fatal shot.
The Ashtabula medical examiner will be performing an autopsy Tuesday. Ballistic tests will also be conducted.

Sadly, Monday night, a second hunter was found deceased in Ashtabula County, but officials say that appears to be from natural causes.

Deer gun season runs until Dec. 3 in Ohio.

ODNR is asking all hunters to be extra careful, wear orange safety gear and, most importantly, “know your target and what’s behind your target."

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
I'm going to lay a $5 bill on the table with a note that says "trespassing Amish" comes out as the cause. Just a hunch. Regardless, my thoughts go out to the family on a senseless, and avoidable loss.

So very very sad, someone lost a family member and this is always a risk however slight when we venture out for deer hunting. Life is full of risks, I carry a BRIGHT Orange toboggan as I think something on the head moving turning is very important in higher risk conditions. My brother mentioned tonight while waiting for me to show up at the truck, when he first saw me, he noticed my vest is not as bright as it used to be. My condolences to the family, one is TOO many, lets keep it at one this season however.

Bigcountry40

Flat land counties can be a little more dangerous during gun season, it seems like every couple of years farm machinery, car, house, barn, etc get hit in my old stomping grounds

Last edited:
Update on the shooting from today's Ashtabula Star Beacon:

JEFFERSON — A November jury trial has been set for the Conneaut man charged in connection with last year's shooting death of a Florida deer hunter.
A Nov. 14 trial for Darrell Shepard has been scheduled in the courtroom of Ashtabula County Common Pleas Court Judge Marianne Sezon, according to court records. In case of a delay, a Nov. 27 back-up date has also been set. Preceding the trial will be a plea deadline hearing Oct. 22 and a status conference Oct. 29, according to court records.

Shepard, born in 1977, faces three counts of involuntary manslaughter, two counts of having weapons under disability, one count of injuring persons or property while hunting, one count of hunting without permission and one count of failure to report knowledge of a death
At issue is the Nov. 27 shooting death of Randy Gozzard, 62, of St. Petersburg, Florida. Gozzard, along with three other people, was hunting in the vicinity of Horton Road in Monroe Township when he suffered a gunshot wound. Officials have said Shepard was hunting illegally in the vicinity of Gozzard at the same time and fired shots. Prosecutors allege Shepard discovered Gozzard’s body but did not contact authorities.

On Dec. 18, county sheriff’s deputies — looking for Shepard because he had failed to attend a hearing on an unrelated criminal case — found him in Pierpont Township. He was arrested and several weapons in the residence were seized, Iarocci said. Shepard was not permitted to possess firearms, officials have said. A shotgun Shepard told authorities he fired while hunting in November was analyzed and found to match a 12-gauge shell found at the shooting scene, officials have said.