Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Shoot thru netting

Kempire

I've always worried about this too, especially with mechanical broadheads. Solution is I cut a small hole out to shoot through without compromising yourself by opening up the whole window.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
Thanks guys! I cut shooting slits in it. I’m shooting rage mechanical
Recipe for disaster my friend. I wouldn't shoot anything but a fixed blade anywhere near netting. If it can go wrong it will. I see where you said you cut slits in it, hell i have a hard time not hitting the pole much less shooting through a slit. Lol.

xbowguy

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Licking Co. Ohio
Recipe for disaster my friend. I wouldn't shoot anything but a fixed blade anywhere near netting. If it can go wrong it will. I see where you said you cut slits in it, hell i have a hard time not hitting the pole much less shooting through a slit. Lol.

I thought the same because of the slack in the material.

Concordmeadowsfarm

SE Ohio
Tonight is the first time I’ve had the net up. It’s my go to bad wind/ weather spot. But the net really distorted my vision and cut shooting light short. Not a fan... Thanks all

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I actually pondered this myself recently and did some online research. I forget the source, but it was reputable... They did some extensive testing with both fixed blade and mechanicals and found zero difference with either type of broadhead. I know, surprising. Even the writer of the article admitted they were blown away by the unexpected performance of the mechanicals. I wouldn't hesitate to shoot a fixed blade through mesh, but I'd want to do my own field testing before sending a mechanical through.

And I have a theory that cutting the slit in the mesh may be the worst thing you could do. If you don't shoot clean through the opening, the mesh might have a greater effect on the broadhead since you've removed the consistent "surface tension" from the mesh. I don't know. I personally wouldn't risk it without testing it first.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
I actually pondered this myself recently and did some online research. I forget the source, but it was reputable... They did some extensive testing with both fixed blade and mechanicals and found zero difference with either type of broadhead. I know, surprising. Even the writer of the article admitted they were blown away by the unexpected performance of the mechanicals. I wouldn't hesitate to shoot a fixed blade through mesh, but I'd want to do my own field testing before sending a mechanical through.

And I have a theory that cutting the slit in the mesh may be the worst thing you could do. If you don't shoot clean through the opening, the mesh might have a greater effect on the broadhead since you've removed the consistent "surface tension" from the mesh. I don't know. I personally wouldn't risk it without testing it first.
I agree with JB's last remarks about reducing surface tension. I recall when blinds first came out, they recommended replacing the window after a shot. It makes sense to me that it could free up slack in the screen that would alter flight more than a taunt surface.

xbowguy

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Licking Co. Ohio
Braydons blind has like 11 holes in a small area. All shots have been good since that Barronett blind went in. Only fixed blades have been through it. But, we are both shooting 305+ fps. if that would matter.

gpb1111

http://www.bowhuntingmag.com/tactics/shoot-ground-blind-mesh/

I think this is the article you are describing from Petersen's Bowhunting.

I trust their research but I'm still going to try some target practice first.