Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Shockwaves

CJD3

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NE Ohio
I started with Powerbelts, but switched due to poor accuracy. I went to the Shockwaves based on the suggestion of a few folks here. They are very accurate, but the last 3 deer have sustained very little damage despite being hit in the 10-ring. All 3 were quartering shots and none of the bullets mushroomed like I would like, especially this last one which didn't expand at all.

I'll be making a change, so if someone wants the rest of my Shockwaves, speak up.

Out of curiosty, how much and what powder for those loads?

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
Same here.... Haven't had any issues with them but not against upgrading to a cleaner powder and more producing round....

Mao

Coshocton, OH
Guys I gun hunt with all say Shockwaves are junk. Accurate, but don't drop deer. They all are big on hollow points. I go by their advice as they have much more experience than me and have had no issues with the hollow points.

Iowa_Buckeye

Smartest person here
Linn County Iowa
Barnes TMZs, nuff said!!!

I've heard plenty of complaints about the Shockwaves (and I was on the Shockwave bandwagon and shot them for 10+ years).
I haven't heard one complaint about the TMZs and know several people who have switched to them. Myself included.

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina

I've heard plenty of complaints about the Shockwaves (and I was on the Shockwave bandwagon and shot them for 10+ years).
I haven't heard one complaint about the TMZs and know several people who have switched to them. Myself included.

Your original post on when you switched got me to thinking then looking into it.... I'll get resighted in when the weather breaks...

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio

Yep those are what I think I'm going to try next.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
I use Hornady XTP Bullets
45 Caliber
250 Grain Jacketed Hollow Points in my Savage ML-II. This is what was recommended and I haven't deviated since. It's dropped everything I've shot at.
Same here. 240 gr XTP HP atop 150 gr of triple 7 pellets out of an Accura V2. Very accurate and maintains the same POI with a clean bore vs one with three shots through it.

I shot powerbelts for a while but unlike Brock I set them on top of 150 gr of powder and they just grenade. Some saw the doe I shot at our early muzzy hunt a few years back. I shot her high on the point of the shoulder to drop her right there. The bullet exploded ripping a hole i could stick my fist through. I trimmed well away from the gunshot meat and after butchering I found copper and lead fragments behind my grinder screen. The whole thing was a waste.

xbowguy

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Licking Co. Ohio
I use Hornady XTP Bullets
45 Caliber
250 Grain Jacketed Hollow Points in my Savage ML-II. This is what was recommended and I haven't deviated since. It's dropped everything I've shot at.

x3 And for powder: I was told to start out at 80 grains. Go up in increments of 5 until I found the perfect load for my gun. (TC Omega) Was told even two of the same gun can shoot different amounts better.