Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Shelled corn bulk load

MK111

"Happy Hunting Grounds in the Sky"
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Picked up 2600 lbs of shelled corn tonight from the grainary for $207. That's 8 cents per pound.
Corn is down this year from the last couple years.
I use on the average of 30 lbs per day in a corn stove to heat my house which is 2.40 cost. So it figures to $72 per month. Figure 6 months on the long side for heating that $432 for the entire year.
Not bad for a 2600 ft house.

Last edited:

MK111

Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Frank, where did you go to find that?

At Brubakers Grainary in Collinsville. Understand that's a discount for buying over 2000 lbs bulk.
If you had a way to store it we could go get a truck load together. I'm looking to see if the son has enough barrels for me so I can get a trucked load of cracked corn for the calves and cows.
Corn is down right now and grainary grain prices change every morning based on the futures market.

MK111

Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Last I was at our local elevator it was 11.70 for a 100 pound bag.

I buy bulk and over 2000 lbs for a small 2000 lb discount per 100. Normal load I haul is 3300 lbs since I have a Ford F250 short bed truck and it handles it just fine. The guy was in a hurry as I was between large semis being loaded out of the same big bin.
No bags, we store in 30 gl. sealed barrels. The son is looking for a small 1000 bushel grain bin as the grainary only charges 1.00 per mile for the 13 miles one way to deliver bulk grain. I may start looking for one to, when I looked 4-5 years ago they thought it was a stupid idea. Now they seem to thing it a good idea. I get impression that the older old man gets, the smarter he is becoming.

Used get 5% discount for paying cash but they stopped that about 3 yrs ago. But the service is 2nd to none.
A friend of mine used to go to a different grainary and they told him they only sold small bulk loads to true farmers and not small landowners. I told him to ask WTF, but he's rather quite so he changed.

Last edited:

MK111

Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Picked up 3060 lbs of bulk shelled corn today for 233.00. Hopefully this is the last load as our 2 grain bins were delivered this week and have to get a break in the weather and put them up. Cost was .0762 per lb.

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
Picked up 3060 lbs of bulk shelled corn today for 233.00. Hopefully this is the last load as our 2 grain bins were delivered this week and have to get a break in the weather and put them up. Cost was .0762 per lb.

For that price Frank I'd load up lol....

Joel

Centerburg, Ohio
Good grief. I paid a farmer 40 bucks for an 80 gallon trough full and thought I got the deal of the century lol. It didn't last long and I just bought a 50 pound bag for $6.50 now that the weather actually got cold. Need to find a better solution next year.

MK111

Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Check the craigslist for small 50-100 bushel grain bins. My brother outside of Findlay found 2 for 300 each and about 200 each for repairs. Then have a nearby grainary do a delivery and get a price break on 2000 lbs or more.