Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Share just ONE tip...one only

moundhill

Supporting Member
Hebbardsville..
When practicing your shooting don't forget to do some practice wearing the same clothes you will be wearing during hunting season. It is a lot different shooting in short sleeves than it is with Coveralls on.

x2! I practice with my gloves and facemask on, and try to shoot off a porch or practice stand

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Become a student of the sport. Education is key. Study varying opinions and make your own decisions. Study deer behavior both in general and in the areas you hunt. Sometimes studying them at a distance you will learn more than sitting in a tree. In talking with Gern over the weekend, I said something out loud to him that I have been trying to figure out for myself. I told him the difference for me this year was I was able to implement some of what I have been learning through books/videos/tv shows/internet/ and magazines. Learn as much as you can, and try to focus on implementing one new thing every time you go out until you have it mastered. This year I spent less time in a stand and more time behind binoculars. Observing and learning helped me greatly this year. Be a student of the sport!

Beentown

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Sunbury, OH
x 2!!!

I've learned some valuable stuff from friends over the years. Having a hunting partner like Greg is invaluable. I wouldn't trade that for a room full of books, magazines, and DVD's...

Let the tip touching commence! :smiley_bestfriends::smiley_dancing: Just kidding. I wished I had had someone to teach me. No one in my family deer hunts and that put me WAY behind the eight ball.

Beentown

Gordo

Athens County
Don't draw conclusions too quickly with limited time in the field.

I know in the past I would be convinced of one thing or the other after limited time in a certain spot or on a certain property. If a certain stand or property wouldnt produce the first 1 or 2 hunts, Id get discouraged and lose confidence.

Same goes for the "rut". I would go out for a 4 hour morning hunt, not see any rutting activity, and say to myself the ruts just not happening yet. That hurt me the most in my earlier years of hunting because it would just keep me out of the woods.

You need to put serious time in to truly know whats going on in the woods. A couple hours here and there is not nearly enough to draw any conclusions.

Geezer

*Hims a Super Moderator*
As a holiday gift, share with everyone else just ONE TIP relating to whitetail deer hunting. Something that you've learned or been shown that makes things easier or more successful. Could have to do with wind direction, or dealing with overly long bootlaces. Maybe your prehunt ritual, or a field dressing tip. Try to pick one that's as practical as possible.

ONE TIP ONLY per hunter! And try not to ramble. But be thorough. But be brief. Make up your mind.:smiley_bril:

Keep fresh batteries in yur spotlight - dang kids :smiley_cigar:

Dannmann801

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Springboro
Don't draw conclusions too quickly with limited time in the field.

I know in the past I would be convinced of one thing or the other after limited time in a certain spot or on a certain property. If a certain stand or property wouldnt produce the first 1 or 2 hunts, Id get discouraged and lose confidence.

Same goes for the "rut". I would go out for a 4 hour morning hunt, not see any rutting activity, and say to myself the ruts just not happening yet. That hurt me the most in my earlier years of hunting because it would just keep me out of the woods.

You need to put serious time in to truly know whats going on in the woods. A couple hours here and there is not nearly enough to draw any conclusions.

good point

epe

Lancaster
Sometimes you have to think outside of the box. Just because you think you know what the deer are thinking, you may not...

sent from my HTC evo

CJD3

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NE Ohio
Scent control is a much bigger issue from a ground blind than a tree stand.

sent from the school of hard knocks