Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Sevr

Bighoun52

In the woods
Used Sevr broadheads last year. Really like the design and sturdiness of them. The only problem I had was penetration. I shoot 70 lb and shot my bucks last year at 12 yards and didn’t get a pass thru. It was a little high so I’m sure I caught some ribs, but at that distance I think it should have still passed thru easily. Also had a young hunter borrow my wife’s crossbow and hit a buck at 30 yards and did not have pass thru either. Can’t say exactly where the shot placement was though. So could have hit more bone. Anyone else use Sevr? Just wondering.

Reactions: Big_Holla
I stopped worrying about penetration, when I started using cut-on-contact fixed blade broadheads. (y):)
I'm the wrong person to ask about mechanical broadheads, due to poor penetration, longer than necessary tracking jobs and not getting pass thru on a simple broadside shot. :mad:🚫

This year I'm hunting with a recurve and/or a longbow and I'm using single bevel broadheads. However, last year I used a Magnus BuzzCut and a Grizzly single bevel and had pass thru shots on both deer. 💯 I was hunting with an Elite Ritual 30 at 57# and a 29" DL. The penetration advantage gives a quick pass thru that makes for a very little reaction from the deer and typically they run about 35ish yards and tip over dead. :cool:

Reactions: Bighoun52
I get their emails all the time and have wondered how well they perform and if anyone I knew was using them. They appear to be designed for better penetration with the pivoting blades but maybe that’s more for less deflection? How sharp were they out of the package?

Reactions: Bowhunter57

Bighoun52

In the woods
They were very sharp out of the package and seem to me to be way sturdier than any other mechanical that I have used blade wise. I shot nap spit fires forever but something changed and I couldn’t get them to shoot well. That’s what caused the switch to Sevr last year

Creamer

Athens
Do you know your total arrow weight? Which model Sevr are you shooting? Usually the combination of a wider cut (I saw Sevr's are 1.5-2" wide depending on model) and a lighter arrow can lead to penetration issues. Like someone above said, getting two holes on a deer can make a big difference. I remember watching one of the dog trackers on YouTube, one of the trackers saying having an entrance and exit hole is one of the biggest recovery factors for him.

You can dive down a deep rabbit hole if you start watching @giles buddy, the Ranch Fairy. Especially when it comes to sharpening. I shoot traditional gear now, all of my bows between 45-50lbs draw weight. An appropriate weight arrow (you do not have to go extreme for whitetails) and a sharp cut on contact head will get you through. I've shot several deer with trad gear, my typical arrow weight has been 530-550 grains with a cut on contact head that's well-sharpened, and I've only NOT shot through one of the deer I've killed with trad gear. Shooting a wide, abrupt angled mechanical with a light arrow can steal a lot of your bow's energy, and your compound is surely producing a lot more energy than my light weight recurves.

Reactions: giles and Bighoun52

Milo

Tatonka guide.
I’m not surprised based on their design. When your tabs stick out further than the blade there is likely going to be issue

Attachments

• IMG_0188.png
    IMG_0188.png
    227.2 KB · Views: 47
Reactions: Big_Holla and "J"

Hedgelj

Supporting Member
Mohicanish
If you're wanting a mechanical look at Triplepoint Outdoors and their clovis broadheads. My best friend had a pass through, the arrow was shattered but the broadhead is still usable on a really nice buck at 32 yards. Made in Ohio also.

bigten05

*Supporting Member*
knox county ohio
I shoot slick tricks but always fool around with a few new heads when I have the money. I used the slick trick torch last year and the mega meat and let me tell you I've never seen holes like what that mega meat did. That's what the kids will be shooting out of the crossbow again this seaon.