Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Scouting & Shed Season......

CritterGitterToo

Central Ohio
This is my favorite time of year to scout. The woods is full of fresh sign easy to see, and for those of us who hunt public land it is usually easy to see where others are focusing their efforts. This helps to weed out a lot of area. It helps me identify escape routes and sanctuaries and then identify pinch points for those. Also, for the first time ever, I have put out a couple of trail cams so I am anxious to see what that produces after a few weeks.

As for sheds. I am terrible at finding those. Either, I've never had access to good wintering ground for bucks, or I just flat out stink at finding them. I'm thinking I'd have to trip over one to find one. Though, I know this is a time when many hunters have success finding them.

Whatever your pursuit, this is a great time to get out in the woods. You can disturb the deer and it doesn't matter. They will certainly be back. So, this might be a good thread for others to share picks of sheds or any other interesting finds.

Bigslam51

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Stark County
This is my favorite time of year to scout. I'll be out this weekend pulling a few stands and scouting for new stand locations. Might even find a shed, who knows. Update... Fugg that, I'm not pulling stands in -13 wind chill lol.

Last edited:

IVSA

I'll be out this year looking for sheds, I've been hunting for about 15 years and haven't never taken the time to scout immediately following a season. Looking forward to it this year! I'll post some pics if I happen to find anything.

CritterGitterToo

Central Ohio
Put boots to the ground and covered about 5.5 miles yesterday. No sheds found. One trail camera stolen, and the other had 3 blurry pics of a deer and 3 pics of a squirrel. *sigh * Not a good day.

Thieves are scum of the earth.