Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Scope Ring Question

DavisJohn

Hey folks, I was wondering if anyone could share with me some best scope rings and mounts? when I first got my scope, it worked perfect, after some time, it started missing targets like hell - then I was wondering if I was getting too nervous before squeezing my triger! Hell knows. But any advise based on this will be very helpful. Help a fellow hunter outta misery. Gratitudes.

teej89

NE PA
Hey folks, I was wondering if anyone could share with me some best scope rings and mounts? when I first got my scope, it worked perfect, after some time, it started missing targets like hell - then I was wondering if I was getting too nervous before squeezing my triger! Hell knows. But any advise based on this will be very helpful. Help a fellow hunter outta misery. Gratitudes.

talley rings

and how'd you dig up this ole thread?

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina

Probably get more responses if you move it to the proper area.... A lot of folks see an older post and go by it....

CJD3

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NE Ohio
What type of gun ? Recoil makes a difference.
To resolve the matter you need to start from the ground up unless you know for sure it's the rings.
Are the taps solid the base is screwing into and is it (the base) solid. Weaver bases have always worked for me.

There are a number of good rings on the market but let's see what you putting it on. Just as important is how you put the scope to the rings. Decent scope mf always have torque limits when tightening the rings to the scope. Always use a torque rench when doing this. There are "scope mounting kits" you can buy that have the everything needed to do this and worth the money if you have more than one scoped gun.

MK111

"Happy Hunting Grounds in the Sky"
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Weaver type work well as does the Redfield twist on type.
1.When installing the scope base put in one screw and tighten it down and make sure the base is tight.
2. Then loosen the 1st screw and put in 2nd screw.
3. Then loosen the 2nd screw.
4. Do the same for all screws.
5. Then go back and tighten all screws down.
6. The reason for this is some screws are too long and when you tighten it down you get a false tight and the screw isn't holding anything.

One of the biggest reasons a rifle starts throwing shots is the scope base or rings came loose. Or the scope gave up and went bad. Cheaper scopes do this all the time, start out OK then go bad.
In 50 yrs never had a bad Leupold but just had one go blurry on me.