Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Scent Control

Floki

I've had a few guys that use all the scent free sprays try to spray me down with that stuff before we went hunting. Sorta pissed me off. Made me feel like my hunt had been ruined. Always asked why they just didn't run some dirt on their clothes. You have every thing natural right in front of you.. yet you use all synthetic.

MK111

"Happy Hunting Grounds in the Sky"
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
I use Philip Morris for a smoker. "Marlboro" other than that maybe a cup of coffee with some hazel nut creamer.
Personally myself i think scent is way over rated. Movement is the number one decider. If your going to kill a deer or not.
Just my two cents.

Been using the smoke up system since seeing it here on TOO. To the best of my knowledge I haven't been busted by a deer downwind of me in 4-5 yrs.
It's fun watching a deer come down wind of me and throw it's head to smell the air then go about their routine. The nice buck I shot couple years ago was down wind and stopped 2 times to smell the air and walk straight to me and I bow shot it at 12 yds. Luck at nothing to do with it as it was either the smoke or evercalm smell that he was coming to. I don't leave home without the 2 on.

JC HUNTER

Thanks for the feedback. "smoking your clothes" is really interesting. That's not something I would have thought of. Honestly I'm surprised it works so well. Out here the only scent control we use is playing the wind. Most of the time it's 80 - 90 degrees and we're hiking anywhere from 2-4 miles from the truck. You just get too sweaty and stinky to worry about it.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
Thanks for the feedback. "smoking your clothes" is really interesting. That's not something I would have thought of. Honestly I'm surprised it works so well. Out here the only scent control we use is playing the wind. Most of the time it's 80 - 90 degrees and we're hiking anywhere from 2-4 miles from the truck. You just get too sweaty and stinky to worry about it.
Here's some food for thought: Western animals are more likely to associate smoke with danger due to the prevalence of wild fires. Eastern animals smell it all the time and never has it tried to burn them. I also think game in sparsely populated areas are less likely to tolerate it than the game around here which lives in close proximity to people. It's not the cure all for all types of hunting, but it works damn good around here.

xbowguy

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Licking Co. Ohio
I use Evercalm on my arm pits, taint and boots. No such thing as a too much of a good thing with that stuff!

WTF??? rotflmao I just had one of the most shitty days EVER. And now I can't quit laughing.... Just why am I picturing Jesse doing this with his notorious shit-eatin-grin?????? rotflmao

A lot like everyone else, scent free soap/shampoo/deodorant. All of my clothes and gear that do not have rubber or elastic on them get treated with ozone after each use. I've played around with activated carbon powder but it makes such a mess I said the hell with it. That's about it for me......Milkweed and the wind are my best friends. But then again I never kill so don't listen to me.