Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Scenario to think about

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Okay, the season is nearly here. Bucks are starting to shed. You have been very busy and haven't checked a camera in 1.5 weeks, but you had a rough week and need to clear your mind. Problem is, it is nearly 7pm. You know you won't be back in there for at least 3 weeks and you won't be able to hunt it the first week of the season. That makes for 4 weeks. You have never had a ton of luck on trail camera pictures on this property. You know there is a decent amount of human activity in the area. You hate to blow out a big boy, but you are jonesin' to check a camera. What do you do?

Just an early season scenario I thought I would throw out there to think about. We need to start being more cautious from here on out.

RedCloud

Super Moderator
Super Mod
North Central Ohio
Honestly, I would wait a couple hours after dark if I was dead set on checking the cam. Deer act completely different at night. They might spook but they will just circle around and come right back in behind you.

Buckslayer

*Supporting Member*
Jackson County
I would just wait til midday the following day...although I think the deer have me patterned as I throw out the goods the same day at the same time every week.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
I check them. I ride my quad to all my cameras, so I have no worries of doing damage when I check my cams. Part of me checking cams is conditioning deer to the sound of a quad. Once a week, they hear me motor around and it becomes part of the environment to them. I've had pictures of deer on Hippie Ridge within an hour of me leaving. I know they were in ear shot of me while I was there, so it's obvious that much like Seth, they have me patterned as well...

Now if I have to sneak in somewhere to check a cam, I don't risk it at 7PM unless I know it's a place I can get there and back without bumping deer. If that is not the case, I'm going in midday or in the rain...

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
The biggest buck I've seen in my life came chasing a small 8 point off a ridge not 45 min after a guy rode his quad down it.

RedCloud

Super Moderator
Super Mod
North Central Ohio
Dante shot his doe last year not 10min. after a guy shut off his chainsaw not even a 100 yards away. I could have shot a doe or her fawn right after the combine was done picking the corn and was heading back up the field.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
For what it is worth, I generally ride the quad in to check the cameras. I don't go bonzi through the woods, but a steady idle 5-7mph is normal. Gives them plenty of time to hear me coming and leaving. I did ride the quad in there last night. I saw one lone fawn 100yds off in the field, but nothing else. Camera didn't produce much other than the first turkeys spotted on this property.

I was just curious as to how others go about it and to give us something to think about. Normally, I try for midday and rain is a plus or if rain is on its way that works too. I try to be very particular about it this time of the year. Given the fact I won't be hunting this property (or even in there most likely) for a month helps. The other properties I am much more anal about my approach. This particular property is generally swamped with human activity though. Ironically, it is also the same woods I killed my buck in last year. I think I can thank the humans and noise to killing the buck there last year. The farmer was out with his manure spreader that afternoon and also stood along the side of the woods talking to his boys not 2 hours prior to my arrow release. I climbed into the tree and figured it would be a wash that evening. As soon as they closed up the barn, the deer seemed to know all was clear and okay to start making their rounds though.

I think ChuckC nailed it on this one. Make noise and don't try to even hide the fact you are there. On this property in particular, given the amount of human presence, this probably helps to keep them from blowing out of there.